Drainage!

Cardiffcol

Drainage!

Post by Cardiffcol »

I know this is not very scientific, but I just dug a hole about a 1.5ft wide and about 1ft deep and filled it with water. it took an hour to drain. Would this be classed as good or poor drainage. The area I'm looking at has very heavy clay. Thanks!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Drainage!

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cardiffcol wrote:I know this is not very scientific, but I just dug a hole about a 1.5ft wide and about 1ft deep and filled it with water. it took an hour to drain. Would this be classed as good or poor drainage. The area I'm looking at has very heavy clay. Thanks!

Sounds amazing compared to my heavy clay. I can dig a hole leave for a day and it will be full of water even WITHOUT any rain.
Cardiffcol

Post by Cardiffcol »

Thanks Kris, it's a 5ft wide bed next to a wall. A builder piled it with clay from digging out the footings from my pond. It was really sticky nasty soil that was quite compacted. there was lots of stones to (maybe that's whats helping the drainage) I've been reluctant to plant anything other than Bamboo and shrubs, but if an hour is good I will try planting other things. I was thinking of Basjoo, the big leaves will look good next to pond :) Thanks again!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

An hour in my opinion is pretty good. Others growing on chalk or pure sand may think it's pretty slow draining. You don't want water to drain too quickly as it would mean loads of watering in summer.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I agree with Kris, sounds pretty good to me for clay. icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My garden is clay soil, i think if i was to dig a natural pond i wouldn't need a liner.