My Ensete Montbelliardii has woken up. :-) 04/02/2014

sanatic1234

My Ensete Montbelliardii has woken up. :-) 04/02/2014

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just been in to my storage room, to give it a clean also to check on a phormium that i am concerned about and noticed that my ensete montbelliardii is now on the move the tightly wrapped roller is now opening up. :D but still to early to water though. :roll: Now way i am risking rotting it. Even if my temps are 9-10c minimum in that storage room.
Blairs

Re: My Ensete Montbelliardii has woken up. :-) 04/02/2014

Post by Blairs »

sanatic1234 wrote:Just been in to my storage room, to give it a clean also to check on a phormium that i am concerned about and noticed that my ensete montbelliardii is now on the move the tightly wrapped roller is now opening up. :D but still to early to water though. :roll: Now way i am risking rotting it. Even if my temps are 9-10c minimum in that storage room.
Mine is in the bay window and has just produced another leaf during the past week. I am watering it lightly, as am watering the other Musa in the window. If yours is getting light then I would water it lightly. Going by one of my leaves yellowing edges I have overwatered, but am keeping my eye on it now.
Attachments
Ensete Montbelliardii
Ensete Montbelliardii
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

sanatic1234 wrote:also to check on a phormium that i am concerned about
Any reason why its indoors, San ?

Nice one on the 'Montbeliardii' .. icon_thumright
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

No blairs not risking it, it is under grow growlights has been all winter but has only just started to move. Late feb and I will give it a tiny bit from the base but still to early for me to be watering. Yours looks great. well done. Mine is looking a little dry but not as much as it normally do when it was stored bare root. I potted mine up last autumn due to the rubbish start it had early season. So this year i want to give it as much of an advantage as i can.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:also to check on a phormium that i am concerned about
Any reason why its indoors, San ?

Nice one on the 'Montbeliardii' .. icon_thumright
Hi arlon, yes there is a reason for it mate, i brought a phormiun "Gold Shield" last summer but had never heard of it and could not find a great deal on its hardiness really so i planted the biggest one and kept 2 as an insurance policy just in case. I got 3 plants for the price of one due to the offesets it had produced. :)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've kept my monties at 20 degrees and dry this winter and so far so good. One is trying to grow though as its still not completely 100% dry at the base!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I very much doubt mine will be 100% dry in fact i know its not as it still looks sort of ok not like it would normally do when dried bare root, my potted maurelli is the same. That won't take much water to get the motor started again.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I've kept my monties at 20 degrees and dry this winter and so far so good !
:ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :lol: that's warmer than indoors here
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Nothing doing here but then someone created a bathroom for Eskimos, the Ensete is in there.

I should be glad its not started up yet, its really cold here...too cold to plant out.

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:I've kept my monties at 20 degrees and dry this winter and so far so good !

I didn't know where to store them this winter so they are in the hallway about 6 foot opposite a radiator and between the kitchen and the bathroom so it's always warm there. Not the ideal location but better than being outside (or in the bin if my wife got her way)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

:lol: I have to keep mine downstairs in the storage room kris out the way, she doesn't mind my small 'Montbeliardii' that i got last year but the taller one... OH NO she is not having it. :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

I didn't know where to store them this winter so they are in the hallway about 6 foot opposite a radiator and between the kitchen and the bathroom so it's always warm there. Not the ideal location but better than being outside (or in the bin if my wife got her way)
Ever thought that being in the hallway might provoke that response Kris :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jungle jas »

Yes I agree with Dave its in the way and a constant source of irritation, put them in the babys bedroom probably just as warm and will get the children used to a bit of jungle at an early age. I'm sure the good lady would not mind! :roll: icon_thumright
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

My ensettes all on the move also. New teqnique worked