Taiwan trip.

lesli5

Taiwan trip.

Post by lesli5 »

Hello!

Hello everybody! In the end of March I will travel to Taiwan with my friends to take photos and collect hardy exotics ferns. I heard , that taiwan is the home a lots of exotics ferns and other plants. I plan I will go tothe mountain in the middle of the counrty , where the climate is enough cold for hardy exotics. Above 2000m everything is hardy for me. Have somebody been Taiwan , yet? If Yes , how was is it?
leunerj

Re: Taiwan trip.

Post by leunerj »

I don't know much about Taiwanese ferns Lesli5 but it is home to Fatsia polycarpa as well as some really interesting looking forms of Fatsia japonica so you should definitely look out for those!!

Have a great time icon_thumleft
callin

Post by callin »

Hi,
We will be waiting here for you to return and post a lot of Taiwanese exotic photos. You have to promise :)
Have a nice trip Lesli5.
Do not forget to bring back home free exotic plant seeds if possible :P .
Cheers
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

lesli5 wrote:Above 2000m everything is hardy for me.
Not in Hungary, it won't be! You'd need to be well above 3000m, minimum. Ideally close to the summit of Yu Shan (3950m) if you can. Plants from 2000m on Taiwan are marginal even in Britain, only reliable in milder areas.
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

leunerj wrote:I don't know much about Taiwanese ferns Lesli5 but it is home to Fatsia polycarpa as well as some really interesting looking forms of Fatsia japonica so you should definitely look out for those!!

Have a great time icon_thumleft
So far, only for me Fatsia japonica.
Thanks for the advice, we will look into. :wink:
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

callin wrote:Hi,
We will be waiting here for you to return and post a lot of Taiwanese exotic photos. You have to promise :)
Have a nice trip Lesli5.
Do not forget to bring back home free exotic plant seeds if possible :P .
Cheers
I making and lot of photos, a video. :)
Yes, I'm going to collect a lot of seeds.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

lesli5 wrote:Yes, I'm going to collect a lot of seeds.
Hope it is successful, but March is not a good time, as most seeds ripen in October - November :wink:
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

Conifers wrote:
lesli5 wrote:Above 2000m everything is hardy for me.
Not in Hungary, it won't be! You'd need to be well above 3000m, minimum. Ideally close to the summit of Yu Shan (3950m) if you can. Plants from 2000m on Taiwan are marginal even in Britain, only reliable in milder areas.

Hello!
We will also go up, yes.The hardier plants i like to collect.
Mainly ferns, but many other plants also come in handy. :wink:
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

Conifers wrote:
lesli5 wrote:Yes, I'm going to collect a lot of seeds.
Hope it is successful, but March is not a good time, as most seeds ripen in October - November :wink:
Yes, but now my friends are there.
Perhaps there are seeds from last year.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Schefflera taiwaniana seeds would be of great interest to members of this forum.If you could find any other hardy schefflera, you would be very popular :) .Also fresh cycad seeds, would be well worth space in a suitcase.Sounds like a really great trip,have fun and be lucky.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

You'll be filling a huge gap in our knowledge if you can provide plenty of photos of the place and plants icon_thumleft
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

If I come back I Will write you which plants can I offer and deliver to you. :wink:
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

Hello!
Can you help me? Where can i buy Ralph Knapp's ferns an allies of taiwan book?
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

Thank you for your help. :wink: