Ideas for a half-sunny... motorbike tyre, please :)

otorongo

Ideas for a half-sunny... motorbike tyre, please :)

Post by otorongo »

I have a tyre about 3 feet off the ground, rested on a block of concrete. It doesn't get blown off and gets all the sun until 2pm before it gets shaded by the pergola. (minus the morning sun in the winter, due to a conifer casting shade).

Currently I have moss and grass growing in it. I'd like to replace the compost and plant something more attractive, it could be flowers or edibles (e.g. wild strawberries), either perennial or annual, trailing down like out of a hanging basket would be nice, but it can't be anything that needs deep roots as the tyre is only a few inches deep.

One of my worries with edibles (such as strawbs) is that the black rubber might leach toxic chemicals into the compost in warm weather, is that something to be concerned about? If so, anything I could do to prevent it? Sinking plastic pots in the tyre would be one solution.
fieldfest

Re: Ideas for a half-sunny... motorbike tyre, please :)

Post by fieldfest »

fill with gravel then sedums and sempervivums?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

How about a Ficus elastica? Not hardy so you would have to bring it inside in the winter.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I can't picture this, how about a photo?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Half Hardy wrote:How about a Ficus elastica? Not hardy so you would have to bring it inside in the winter.
I see it's a tree, would it behave like a bonsai in limited root space?

Succulents as suggested by fieldfest are a nice idea, I guess there are more that would fit in there, maybe schlumbergera...

I may take a photo when I get a chance, but it's fairly simple to picture, flounder... A small tyre 3 feet above the ground, getting full sun until early afternoon, 5ft away from the SE-facing house wall :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If your worried I would just line it with some plastic and then you can grow whatever you want. Strawberries would be a great idea.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

otorongo wrote:
Half Hardy wrote:How about a Ficus elastica? Not hardy so you would have to bring it inside in the winter.
I see it's a tree, would it behave like a bonsai in limited root space?

Succulents as suggested by fieldfest are a nice idea, I guess there are more that would fit in there, maybe schlumbergera...

I may take a photo when I get a chance, but it's fairly simple to picture, flounder... A small tyre 3 feet above the ground, getting full sun until early afternoon, 5ft away from the SE-facing house wall :)
The ficus suggestion,was a poor joke,that fell flat ( :roll: )(rubber tree),I'll get get my coat. :oops:

A proper suggestion this time....

How about lotus berthelotii (parrots claw). It will trail down the tyre and look great against the black.
They grow quickly and easily from seed and cuttings.Here's a pic. of one I grew a couple of years ago.
I would combine it with aeonium swartkop and top dress with gravel.
Attachments
048.JPG
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I like the Lotus berthelotii icon_thumleft and it might be hardy enough for its location.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I like them as well, but I can't grow them in west Wales despite being quite mild where I live. icon_thumright