Chameadorea microspadix & radicalis

michelea

Chameadorea microspadix & radicalis

Post by michelea »

Hi all,

Would it be worth growing Chameadorea microspadix and/ or radicalis in a Leicestershire garden? I love how they look but getting negative info that they are slug food, partial to rotting, slow growing and not really that hardy.

If this is the case is there anything of similar appearance or is that wishful thinking :)

Cheers

Michele
Nathan

Re: Chameadorea microspadix & radicalis

Post by Nathan »

Chamaedorea microspadix is more prone to damage from slugs & snails in my experience, but both are reasonably hardy. Kev Spence who lives in Loughborough should be able to help you more as regards to their hardiness in your area. Have a look on the Growing On The Edge or European Palm Society forums, as he posts on both of those sites icon_thumleft
michelea

Post by michelea »

Thanks Nathan,

Will have a look at websites suggested.

Michele
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Can't comment on your own local climate obviously, but down here radicalis got through the last few winters with no protection ..... only a couple of browned fronds ..... and did well during the summer. Microspadix didn't like the cold as much, but I've moved it so it has a tree canopy above now which I am hoping won't stop in its tracks quite as much. Both appreciated a reasonable amount of shade .... though some of my radicalis get pretty full sun and cope fine.