alternative to eucalytus

Mr List

alternative to eucalytus

Post by Mr List »

what is a tree that will grow as big and as fast as a eucalyptus gunni but without the problems of weak roots and branches that fall off?

doesn't need to be evergreen.
callin

Re: alternative to eucalytus

Post by callin »

The "suspect" you described is a Paulownia tree. I m not sure about the speed in a climate with not so hot summers.. icon_scratch . For me paulownias are the fastest growers I have ever seen. With good summer watering and planted in full sun they grow fast like nothing else.
off topic ... :roll: How are your tamarillos? any update please Mr. List?
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Paulownia are very fast here, much faster than eucalypts, so far no broken bits on my 30' tree so good shout I would say, needs lots of sun to flower well
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I have an Acacia which is fast growing, but I don't know if it will grow in Leeds. Eriobotrya Japonica don't hang about either. icon_thumright
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I would go for something evergreen. Anything evergreen is always better than anything that is a zombie for half of the year.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Agree with all the above and would have said the sam, though I personally find Acacia not that fast growing outside. I find Eriobotrya Japonica the fastest growing.

If you want cheap but fast growing then natives like Rowan, Birch and Apple all shoot up but are obvs not evergreen.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

All trees drop dead branches :wink:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I though gums had a bad rep for dropping random branches in a dangerous way?

might just be easier to stick with eucalyptus gunni since they are only £5

ps

I gave all the hardy tree tomatoes away because I didn't like them that much.

they are all alive atm but the person moved so may now be chopped down etc..
jungle jas

Re: alternative to eucalyptus

Post by jungle jas »

Mr L I don't recommend Eucalyptus in windy sites as branches snap at the drop of a hat, Ok in a big garden with nothing around them to damage.
jungle jas

Re: alternative to eucalyptus

Post by jungle jas »

Blairs, the Acacia I am growing is Baileyana purpurea It grew 4 foot last year. icon_thumright
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Only thing with pauwlonia is that it is deciduous with it being from temperate china. What about holm oak, leaves are evergreen and very similar to eucalyptus however they're slower growing.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Acacia Dealbata is certainly quick, I have two about as tall a house, and trunks about 40''plus in circumference,grown from knee-high and pencil thin in 8-10 years, but these can also be known to shed large branches occasionally.
I also have a smaller one, that blew over this year.
Shallow rooted too, so keep away from anything structural, or lawns etc.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Weeping Willows grow at an insane speed.

Salix X Sepulcralis Chrysocoma
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:I thought gums had a bad rep for dropping random branches in a dangerous way?
A bit like all palms should be avoided or you risk having Coconuts fall on your head. :lol:

Eucs can be managed to stop them getting too big. So let grow to around 15/20ft then coppice. from then on cut out a stem or two every other year.

Holm Oak has the densest shade and nothing will grow under it, so for the average size garden, after 50 years that is all you will have.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

charliepridham wrote:Paulownia are very fast here, much faster than eucalypts, so far no broken bits on my 30' tree so good shout I would say, needs lots of sun to flower well
With the battering you guys are getting down there i would say that is a massive achievement. Stay safe charlie, it looks nasty from what i am seeing.