Weekend Weather Warning 8th/9th Feb 2014

GREVILLE

Re: Weekend Weather Warning 8th/9th Feb 2014

Post by GREVILLE »

GREVILLE wrote:Have to travel south tomorrow and 60MPH winds forecast. Part of the A22 to Godstone was closed for flooding today and with heavy rain overnight and very heavy squally showers tomorrow I imagine the lake that diverted today's traffic will be a lot bigger when I try to swim past :roll:
Made my trip today having noted the weather warnings and got away with it.....only just :shock:

Drove out in bright sunshine but car shaking gusts on a wide detour past the closed A22. I rejoined it via an unfamiliar route through two sleepy villages and last night's downpour must have been responsible for the enormous fords I had to drive through. They all seemed fairly shallow until I drove through one that was strictly too deep for me and in addition to the depth of water slowing me down the car shuddered to a complete standstill before I had fully cleared it. The car wouldn't restart straight away, but after a nervous fifteen minutes during which time not a single sensible and obviously knowledgeable local villager passed by, the motor fired up and I made it to my destination just beating a gigantic hailstorm and some apocalyptic thunder.

Needless to say, I didn't return home the same way but had to negotiate some nasty squalls.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

As forecast we have had and are still having winds around 50mph gusting to 70 but apart from a rumble or two of thunder, just one hail shower and light rain. It didn't stop us doing a 5 mile walk.
derrick

Post by derrick »

You made it then Greville .Some of the back village roads can be worse .The fords you cant tell the depth on some of them .Did you do any fishing on the way ?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

derrick wrote:You made it then Greville .Some of the back village roads can be worse .The fords you cant tell the depth on some of them .Did you do any fishing on the way ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get fast running streams down the kerbs of my hilly road whenever it pours and in a heavy shower when I got home I swear I saw a leaping salmon trying make it's way back up the hill icon_thumright ...Oh, and I did sing a good tuna to the beat of my noisy windscreen wipers on the way home icon_fish
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I have been blind to some developments going on in the models this evening.. some extremely severe storms showing up on the models now at the last minute (72 hours out).. these storms have the potential for baroclinic development which they other storms didn't have. Should these storms undergo Baroclinic development, the southwest and south in general could be in serious trouble.. some exceptional charts floating around... I hope some of these do not occur.

Some storms are expected to converge with Spring tides around the 17th.

No respite for those who need it, any time soon.

:shock:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

So that's where all the rain went. All along the Pacific coast of North America dought is extensive. Here in the Pacific Northwest we're about 40% short on normal rainfall. One of the driest winters in many many years.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
jan2014.jpg
stephenprudence

Oh crappe. Im in trouble :shock: :shock: :shock:

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:Oh crappe. Im in trouble :shock: :shock: :shock:

[ Image ]

is this chart reliable? how accurate as only 2 days off? worst storm of the winter so far? and your predictions for manchester? :lol:
stephenprudence

cordyman wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Oh crappe. Im in trouble :shock: :shock: :shock:

[ Image ]

is this chart reliable? how accurate as only 2 days off? worst storm of the winter so far? and your predictions for manchester? :lol:
Id say so, the storm has been making northwards progress so far through the week, it's likely to verify as a very strong storm, it could move north or south of here but most models put it around where it is now.. I'd say tomorrow night it will be reliably positioned. Strong winds for Manchester of course, around 50-60mph gusts should this verify.

I would stick my neck out and say this will be the worst storms so far in terms of widespread strong wind yes.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

stephenprudence wrote:I'd say tomorrow night it will be reliably positioned. Strong winds for Manchester of course, around 50-60mph gusts should this verify.
Weather forecast this morning said 70-80mph up your way and 50-60mph on South coast :(

I think of low pressures that get down to 950 as being a) serious and b) rare. We've had loads this winter ... I wonder how often so many 950-ish storms track up the Atlantic - is it a hundred year event, or even rarer perhaps?
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

We have had 60mph winds all night only easing a little now but tomorrow is forecast to be even stronger gusting up to 80mph.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Proper tree fern weather today. Torrential rain all morning. Washed away the frost. No wind yet which is good.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I dont think that will be the worst storm, we have had at least 2 that will be worse. Dont forget the UK is accustomed to westerlies , the worst storms always come with southerlies. Furthermore,this one is going to zip past so the winds will be relatively shortlived. Anyway, a few more days and the severe stuff should be over, I am sticking to my forecast that this coming weekend will see last of the sequence of severe storms for time being.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That sounds good nigel :-) I will be able to some things done that need doing.
dino

Post by dino »

Bizarre today, heavy snow then bright sunshine. Really cold now