Weekend Weather Warning 8th/9th Feb 2014

Kristen

Re: Weekend Weather Warning 8th/9th Feb 2014

Post by Kristen »

Kristen wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:I'd say tomorrow night it will be reliably positioned. Strong winds for Manchester of course, around 50-60mph gusts should this verify.
Weather forecast this morning said 70-80mph up your way and 50-60mph on South coast :(
BBC revised what they were saying to 100 mph this morning ... :( hopefully that only applies to the sticky out bits
miketropic

Re: severe storm warning, Wednesday 12th February!

Post by miketropic »

id take a bit of wind and rain over this -18c any day
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Kristen wrote:The Wind Arrows looked very Southerly on the BBC's chart this morning - although I don't know whether that's just the track of this low? rather than a proper Southerly gale (which might be a different weather system perhaps?)
It will start out as a southerly when it hits, thats quite worrying if the wind is at full strength at the same time.
If 80mph gusts from the south start hitting those battered south coast defences it will be very bad. Dawlish has managed to survive since the railway track got washed into the sea, only because the subsequent storms came from the south west. i hope it doesnt coincide with high tides.
Last edited by Nigel on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

miketropic wrote:id take a bit of wind and rain over this -18c any day
Whilst I would not want to experience -18c again 100mph winds and the rainfall of late are hardly "a bit of wind and rain" Mike.
kata

Post by kata »

"Manchester, like most of Britain, experiences a generally mild climate and while there is a commonly held perception that it receives a lot of rain, in fact, it receives slightly less than the UK average."
Rubbish; my lawn is a mud lawn. Certainly have had monsoons here at times, we are used to getting a lot of rain.

No rain like Somerset but still I beg to differ what your saying

Its also not mild by any stretch of the Imagination.

Cordy.
wiganrainfall.gif
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Adam D wrote:
miketropic wrote:id take a bit of wind and rain over this -18c any day
Whilst I would not want to experience -18c again 100mph winds and the rainfall of late are hardly "a bit of wind and rain" Mike.
Most of southern England is under water with thousands of homes flooded and people evacuated, livelihoods and businesses ruined. Coastal defences are being breached and even railways washed away. Today’s storm promises gusts of up 100mph and 50mm of rain plus hitting areas already flooded. Although another -18c would kill my garden I would take that over what has happened in southern England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... homes.html
pdid

Post by pdid »

Good call on this one Stephen. Eeeek. Really looking forward to my 3 mile cycle home at 6pm :evil:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... &lat=55.50
Last edited by pdid on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
multim

Post by multim »

Oddly enough, here in Bourne End, Thames valley, the river levels have been receding over the past two days - yes, going down each day! Plenty of news helicopters buzzing around (the vultures). Not today though, too gusty.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

i think its certainly the worst winds so far, remains to be seen if its most damaing, we shall have to see, although no signs of damage here. The rain though is unbelievable, if this lot falls all over England I think the country is going to sink.
At least my tunnels are holding firm , I was a bit worried about the wind direction as southerlies will hit the ends full on which is worst case scenario.
I really worry about the torrential rain falling here and the repercussions for others.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Suddenly sun is shining and not a breath of wind, never been in the eye of a storm before, cant see what else it can be ?
This model suggests it was the slack centre of the storm, if not an actual eye, wind now starting up again but still have sunshine.
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/ ... 0&LOOP=12
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Nigel wrote:Suddenly sun is shining and not a breath of wind, never been in the eye of a storm before, cant see what else it can be ?
This model suggests it was the slack centre of the storm, if not an actual eye, wind now starting up again but still have sunshine.
I thought that the low was currently centred over the Irish border and due to track NEly to the south of Scotland?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Adam D wrote:
Nigel wrote:Suddenly sun is shining and not a breath of wind, never been in the eye of a storm before, cant see what else it can be ?
I thought that the low was currently centred over the Irish border and due to track NEly to the south of Scotland?
It does look that way Adam, but it really suddenly stopped here and went totally calm so I guess the slack part stretches south , wind picked up again now, but bad part lasted around 30 mins to an hour on leading edge before it went becalmed.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Nigel wrote:a few more days and the severe stuff should be over, I am sticking to my forecast that this coming weekend will see last of the sequence of severe storms for time being.
Do you think that the renewed cold in USA, sinking into the deep South I believe, and ice storms too, will re-energise the jet stream, and thus prolong our stormy weather?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Kristen wrote:
Nigel wrote:a few more days and the severe stuff should be over, I am sticking to my forecast that this coming weekend will see last of the sequence of severe storms for time being.
Do you think that the renewed cold in USA, sinking into the deep South I believe, and ice storms too, will re-energise the jet stream, and thus prolong our stormy weather?
Unfortunately the models are already suggesting this, there is signs of some nasty temperature gradients occurring over the atlantic again, although next week remains looking relatively calm so far.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

This is the moment that time stood still for 10 to 15 minutes , sun came out and it was becalmed , I am located just above the a in cardiff. Not the eye of the storm, but same effect.
Attachments
getpicture.jpg