Then and Now, how your garden has developed

Las Palmas Norte

Re: Then and Now, how your garden has developed

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

How's that sizeable Washingtonia robusta of yours doing these days Dave?

Cheers, Barrie.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Barrie,

Long time no speak :wink:

The Washingtonia is doing fine but was defoliated after Dec 2010. Keeping it in the theme of Then an Now here's a pic of 2004 and 2013 :wink:
Attachments
Washingtonia 2004-2013.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dino »

That is great growth, I'm almost tempted to plant mine out. Will have to soon anyway because of its weight.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Yes Dave ... It's been a while. Your Washingtonia is looking great. I'd imagine a new crown of leaves formed quickly in the next season. I should try one again sometime. Never had too much luck with them. Sabal palmetto and S minor are more of a focus for me know.

Cheers, Barrie.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Right so here is my before and afters ....... well, for the bottom end of the garden anyway.

We moved in during Feb 2011, and here's what I had to start with. Note heavily overshadowed by two large, unruly conifers.
Patio.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Rocky area ........ soon to become rock-ery!
Rocky 2011
Rocky 2011
Rockery.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
So ........ the conifers had to go to let the light in. Took them down myself with my dad, and then got the professionals in to grind the stumps out.
Trees gone 2012
Trees gone 2012
trees.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Then it was time to upgrade the gate to something a touch more inkeeping, and add some hornbeams to retain some privacy without blocking the sunlight ........
Cleft sweet chestnut gate 2013
Cleft sweet chestnut gate 2013
Gate.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Then cover the wobbly stone 'patio' to tidy things up and give some contrast to the plants ....
Gravel 2013
Gravel 2013
gravel.jpg (63.62 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Rockery was developing all the time over those two years - it would have been rude not to as it was already stepped and gets the best of the sun, and here's how it was looking end of summer last year ...
Rockery 2013
Rockery 2013
rockery now.jpg (68.22 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Also felled two huge Norway Spruces over the road that were blocking out the afternoon sun from large parts of the garden ......... and here's the general area now from above ....... hope you agree it is much more hospitable (in fairness original shots are in February, end shots in September).
September 2013
September 2013
now.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

Then and Now :ahhh!:
Attachments
before1.JPG
before2.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

lovely varied border there! great planting icon_salut
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

samtobuk wrote:Right so here is my before and afters ....... well, for the bottom end of the garden anyway.

We moved in during Feb 2011, and here's what I had to start with. Note heavily overshadowed by two large, unruly conifers.
Patio.jpg
Rocky area ........ soon to become rock-ery!
Rockery.jpg
So ........ the conifers had to go to let the light in. Took them down myself with my dad, and then got the professionals in to grind the stumps out.
trees.jpg
Then it was time to upgrade the gate to something a touch more inkeeping, and add some hornbeams to retain some privacy without blocking the sunlight ........
Gate.jpg
Then cover the wobbly stone 'patio' to tidy things up and give some contrast to the plants ....
gravel.jpg
Rockery was developing all the time over those two years - it would have been rude not to as it was already stepped and gets the best of the sun, and here's how it was looking end of summer last year ...
rockery now.jpg
Also felled two huge Norway Spruces over the road that were blocking out the afternoon sun from large parts of the garden ......... and here's the general area now from above ....... hope you agree it is much more hospitable (in fairness original shots are in February, end shots in September).
now.jpg

I do like the elevation in your garden and the proximity of the roof, bet its a nice heat store too, adding to the microclimate when the sun goes down!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Looks like i will be having to change my garden soon so better take some photos for then and now pics.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

fern Rob wrote:Looks like i will be having to change my garden soon so better take some photos for then and now pics.
change the layout, or move house? icon_scratch
Springy

Post by Springy »

There's some cracking transformations there!! icon_cheers

Here's mine from day one to the last photo I took on a frosty morning about a month ago. Been here about 4 years or so now! icon_sunny
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
image.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

cordyman wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Looks like i will be having to change my garden soon so better take some photos for then and now pics.
change the layout, or move house? icon_scratch
Some building work but maybe a bit of extra planting area with a flower bed or two.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Springy wrote:There's some cracking transformations there!! icon_cheers

Here's mine from day one to the last photo I took on a frosty morning about a month ago. Been here about 4 years or so now! icon_sunny

Best wiggly lawn on HTUK award? icon_salut
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Then (May 2010 - Just moved in)

A year in (May 2011)

Now (ish) (Oct 2013)

Acutally now (notice the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's autumn/winter growth :D )
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Rburrena, I like the way your path is on the shady side and the bed is against the sunny south-facing fence. Speaking of which, who replaced it? They've done a top job. Also see your neighbours have an enclosed trampoline and wooden climbing frame with a tubular slide - nice. Guess you get to hear children playing in the summer.

Your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has put on a fair bit of growth whilst your waggy looks very healthy. Do you use that outbuilding at the bottom? I think it makes sense to have something at the bottom of the garden, to make a destination, so you use the whole garden :)