Can I use chipped brash constructively?

samtobuk

Can I use chipped brash constructively?

Post by samtobuk »

Had three large Norway Spruce felled last year to let more light into the garden. Gave me lots of nice logs to use on the fire, but to keep the costs down I also got them to just chip the brash and leave it on site.

Has been out in the elements for a good 6 months now, but such a large pile that a foot or so down it is pretty dry and not really rotting down yet. Just under the surface it is pretty white with fungal growth.

I have been shovelling it into my green waste bin to get some of it removed, but also wondering if I can make use of the large amount that I have left. Can I mix it in with the topsoil in the garden, or use it in with compost in potted plants? Or is it best used on the surface as a bit of a mulch over the year?

Thanks
Conifers

Re: Can I use chipped brash constructively?

Post by Conifers »

Spread it out as surface mulch.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

use it as a mulch or mix with compost.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I would use it as a mulch or to add humus to soil: would add drainage. Composting may have issues as it will take years to degrade and be too woody and acidic.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Great, thanks guys. Was hoping to be able to start using it up and if it helps drainage I'll have plenty of potted specimens this year I can use it on. Got plenty of border expansion to do too, and even though the drainage is pretty good here (lots of cotswold stone in the soil) some more won't hurt!

Any recommendations on how much to add for potted? Got loads to use up but read that too much might strip nitrogen out of the soil before it really starts rotting down. Have got John Innes no 3 and some horse manure/mushroom compost so far to work with (or general purpose compost).
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have used woodchippings/bark as drainage in pots - an inch or two on top of crocks. Be weary though as can hold water in pots unmixed, so mix it with the compost and it is fine. Do not go overboard or you will be forever watering.

If there is lots of needles then that is good as a weed suppressant and for paths. Actual wood chips are good for mulches.

Nitrogen stripping is not an issue if you are fertilising.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

i wouldn't bin any of it, i would do a 60 40 mix in the compost.