Just been out to inspect the garden.

Mowgley

Re: Just been out to inspect the garden.

Post by Mowgley »

Untied the trachycarpus f for the first time in 3 weeks some leaves a bit battered and yellow but still growing nicely
Dug up some cannas out of the soil to start them off in the GH and some already had small shoots already waiting :D
The butia and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in the GH are throwing new spears out :D
Everything's looking quite good
dino

Post by dino »

Untied the TF?
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Yes it's in a exposed location , so decided to tie up the fronds save them being smashed by the wind
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nigel wrote:
cordyman wrote: Agree Nigel , my wags in the front garden on South facing slate slope have been pushing spears out all winter. What temp to trachys go dorment?
Not sure exactly Cordy.... I am guessing somewhere below 8 to 10C.

cheers icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mowgley wrote:Yes it's in a exposed location , so decided to tie up the fronds save them being smashed by the wind
I think Dave mentioned this is counter intuitive as the leaves can't then naturally bend when tied up, and more harm than good is done icon_study
flounder

Post by flounder »

I go in to the garden every day rain or shine to determine what needs to be changed/repaired/replaced, then I go back in doors to find something less to do :?
Why put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until it's warmer I say :wink:
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

cordyman wrote:
Mowgley wrote:Yes it's in a exposed location , so decided to tie up the fronds save them being smashed by the wind
I think Dave mentioned this is counter intuitive as the leaves can't then naturally bend when tied up, and more harm than good is done icon_study

Oops I'll know for next time then!
Hopefully though I'll not have to do it again any time soon :D
Last edited by Mowgley on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

flounder wrote:I go in to the garden every day rain or shine to determine what needs to be changed/repaired/replaced, then I go back in doors to find something less to do :?
Why put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until it's warmer I say :wink:
everything is better done under a warm sun, with a cold beer in hand icon_salut
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I've been distracted by the damage. while trying to sort this out I noticed today under the warm sun just how much is up and out. Two mimosa in bloom along with Grevillea, Sedum praeltum, Forsythia and various bulbs. ALL the palms have had continuously moving spears through the winter and some are now opening.

The grass REALLY needs a cut.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have no grass left in the lawn, the lawn needs removing.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

We've had some nice sunny days and its been lovely to get out there again without the wind and rain!
I've noticed this week that the burnt/salt damage to the leaves of evergreen things and others is now showing far worse than just after the last horrendous storm blew through.
I have a portuguese laurel and the leaves were lovely dark shiny green before the storms and a week afterwards as well.
Now they are all brown and crisp! Damage now showing on new euphorbia growth, cytisus, that tall scented heath (can't remember the name), bluebell flower (climber) all the leaves have just dropped off! Almost like delayed action! Neighbours privet totally defoliated. Very well clipped conifer hedge up the road browned.
Never seen such damage here before and we do get a lot of SW storms/gales as normal every winter.
However, the good news is the camellias have just burst into flower with a vengeance and are looking wonderful. As if they were just waiting for the storms to pass and then all opened up together. Wonderful!! Such a treat, they look tropical to me, just gorgeous for this time of year. They seem impervious to the weather, thank goodness.
Today I have mostly been planting lily bulbs, freesia bulbs, and trying some tuberose bulbs as I love that scent. They're not very big so may have to wait till next year for flowers. I'lll feed them up well and hope for a hot summer!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

fern Rob wrote:I have no grass left in the lawn, the lawn needs removing.
why not go for a simba style layout with lots of contemporary chippings icon_scratch icon_thumleft
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

We got rid of our front lawn and replaced it with a circle of membrane covered with mini chipped bark and it looks really good. Top it up every year with some bags and just have to scoop the edges up from the beds now and then and weed a bit, the roots dont go down at all, so thats easy.
Going to get a Butia to go in the centre soon so that should finish it off good.
Its nice seeing the neighbours spending time maintaining their lawns every summer!!
And not having to do it myself!!!!! Yay! More time to sit with a nice chilled glass of pinot and smell the flowers!!!!