St Valentine's Day Palm Massacre - vidjo

Dave Brown
Site Admin

St Valentine's Day Palm Massacre - vidjo

Post by Dave Brown »

Vidjo of the St Valentine's Day Palm Massacre.

Hurricane force gusts slammed into my poor palms :ahhh!:

Much of night time footage was not usable due to low light, and sound quality is not best as a lot of wind noise when outside even though wind filtering set to on. Inside when zooming the mic picks up reflected noise from the windows. so lots of camera clicks and whirrs

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: St Valentine's Day Palm Massacre - vidjo

Post by Conifers »

Incredible to see even the moon getting blown about and then blown right away :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

surprising the palms took all the wind.
flounder

Post by flounder »

So Dave, that last segment proves you're a storm chaser then? :wink:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Shouldn't the last caption read " wont be forgotten in a hurry cane". :lol: icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:Incredible to see even the moon getting blown about and then blown right away :lol:
I was using high magnification, on the moon, and leaning against the window to steady my arm, but the window was being bowed and flexed. That's why when there was the sounds of a big gust I had to recentre on the Moon :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flounder wrote:So Dave, that last segment proves you're a storm chaser then? :wink:
No, I was just seeing it off, whipping it's ass :lol:

Seriously, Aidan is just in the process of buying his own place 5 miles down the road in that direction. It was the first chance I've had to see it. It's overlooking the valley of the River Medway with views of Rochester City, the Castle, Cathedral etc.

He has 180°view of the river this is a partial zoomed pic taken from the front door step :wink:
2014-02-15 16-20-36 view Rochester.jpg
Wider angle view
2014-02-15 16-26-34 View from Aidans house.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by RogerBacardy »

Friday night was so noisy due to the wind. Felt like of the three little pigs with the big bad wolf outside. At one point our window blew open, potted plant knocked over, curtains flapping about horizontally, whilst on the other side of our house a small window got blown open, with the curtains sucked out.

Had to buy some 2.4m poles to get my cordylines vertical again (were 45 degrees in the morning). Bit worrying that at +3m tall they still need staking. Wonder if I've got vine weevil attacking the roots.

Still, could have been worse. In the local park at tall conifer had blown over. Always a shame to see a felled tree, let alone a mature one in a park.

EDIT - Dave, is Adian's potential new home in the shade of a hill to the south, or was that just passing cloud? Both the bottom pics show where you're standing to be shady, whilst the distance is in the sunshine.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

RogerBacardy wrote:Dave, is Adian's potential new home in the shade of a hill to the south, or was that just passing cloud? Both the bottom pics show where you're standing to be shady, whilst the distance is in the sunshine.
...and the block of flats in the zoom appear to have miraculously shifted several hundred feet to the right. How odd is that?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

jungle jas wrote:Shouldn't the last caption read " wont be forgotten in a hurry cane". :lol: icon_thumright
Made me chuckle icon_thumleft I needed cheering up , my greenhouse for all my borderline hardy plants ,got completely trashed by this storm. Luckily I moved most of the plants into the house before it came so their safe for now.I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them long term (look out for some bargains on ebay :lol: ).
multim

Post by multim »

My 38mph gust was nothing more than a sneeze by comparison!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

RogerBacardy wrote:Friday night was so noisy due to the wind. Felt like of the three little pigs with the big bad wolf outside. At one point our window blew open, potted plant knocked over, curtains flapping about horizontally, whilst on the other side of our house a small window got blown open, with the curtains sucked out.

Had to buy some 2.4m poles to get my cordylines vertical again (were 45 degrees in the morning). Bit worrying that at +3m tall they still need staking. Wonder if I've got vine weevil attacking the roots.

Still, could have been worse. In the local park at tall conifer had blown over. Always a shame to see a felled tree, let alone a mature one in a park.

EDIT - Dave, is Adian's potential new home in the shade of a hill to the south, or was that just passing cloud? Both the bottom pics show where you're standing to be shady, whilst the distance is in the sunshine.
All my back windows are sliding, apart from the top kitchen and they open outward so no problems with blowing open here.

Sounds like a problem with the tap root on your Cordylines. How well drained is it?

Aidan faces southeast to the front, and those pics were taken at just after 16:30 so the sun was very low in the sky and just shining on the west facing side of the valley :)
Kyle wrote: ...and the block of flats in the zoom appear to have miraculously shifted several hundred feet to the right. How odd is that?
oohwer ! yes you're right. I have no idea, as they were taken from the same place.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:
Conifers wrote:Incredible to see even the moon getting blown about and then blown right away :lol:
I was using high magnification, on the moon, and leaning against the window to steady my arm, but the window was being bowed and flexed. That's why when there was the sounds of a big gust I had to recentre on the Moon :wink:
Excuses, excuses! :DD
eddie

Post by eddie »

Rather windy I would say...

If everything has a purpose on earth, why would nature create such devastating storms? Storms are trashing my garden a couple of times a year. We get the same conditions you have occasionally, which is actually worse to deal with than cold spells I think. Try and protect you plants and the protection gets blown to pieces.... icon_scratch
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

eddie wrote:If everything has a purpose on earth, why would nature create such devastating storms? ...
It doesn't! No weather has any purpose icon_thumright

If it did, one would have to believe in some sort of divine control, with the logical conclusion that the almighty had been consuming too many beans . . .
Last edited by Conifers on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.