When to unwrap

Neil Ziemski

When to unwrap

Post by Neil Ziemski »

When should I unwrap my tree ferns, I was thinking of doing it today.
I don't mind watching the forecast and placing a bag over them if frost is forecast.
Is there any benefit to doing it now.
Neil
billdango

Re: When to unwrap

Post by billdango »

Haven,t had to wrap anything down here yet but it could still happen as a few weeks of chilly weather could still happen.

billdango :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I unwrapped back in December when it looked mild - I removed the last of the straw on Saturday. The mild wet weather has been good for them (mine are out of the wind I should add). Still got lots of green fronds.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Just unwrapped my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and there was absolutely no damage what so ever. Such a nice sunny day it would have been a shame not to. :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Im going to get around to doing mine.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Just unwrapped my Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and there was absolutely no damage what so ever.
I never wrapped mine, wrapping may not cause much damage but I would imagine it would inhibit growth?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I don't wrap unless needed. We can have severe frosts into May so i would unwrap and just keep the wrapping on standby just in case. The good news is that no really damaging cold is forecast. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
multim

Post by multim »

Mine is just bracken wrapped around the trunk and the top/fronds exposed - still looking good. Last years Winter was fairly mild..ish, and there is a small D.A. in a garden, planted in a pot and left to its own devices. It looked better than mine with protection to the crown. This is why I chose to leave mine to the elements and the gloriously mild, if wet, Winter.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Unwrapped,fed,watered,changed damp straw,dried fleece then re wrapped mine.Trunks are wrapped in 30gsm fleece too,but that will be coming off for good this weekend. Will continue to protect the crown for a time yet as im mostly away from home so cant just add remove protection as when needed.
Still no knuckles in mine btw.