Some pictures from last year...

kata

Re: Some pictures from last year...

Post by kata »

Kata. Don't think Ebay is waiting on loads of trachycarpus seedlings, so I will let them growing there so long I don't need the border space. :)
Why not. If your happy where they are thats all that matters EL.

icon_sunny
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Ready for growing season nummero 10, which means a small celebration. At this moment it start to flower, counted 8 this week, but there are another few coming.

dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi another beautiful garden! It looks soo tropical icon_thumleft
Springy

Post by Springy »

How good is that!!! icon_thumleft

I can't wait for my trachies to flower or even a chammy or two. I'd love to see my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP flowering!! icon_cheers
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Brilliant pictures, did the flowers start to come through when it was wrapped over winter, or have they started since its been unwrapped and in the sunshine?
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Thanks!

@ cheshirepalms. The last few years I see something like two flower rounds. The flowering part in Spring which are mostly formed just before winter. This winter has been mild and I have seen a few days with 17-18C including a 21C so far. They are a bit faster and further then other years yes.

Most of the time I see another round produced in late spring which flower into early summer. Maybe that are the ones already which I can seen in the innerside of the palm. Somehow the bees do not like this flowers at all.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Exotic Life wrote:Ready for growing season nummero 10, which means a small celebration. At this moment it start to flower, counted 8 this week, but there are another few coming.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
That Phoenix canariensis looks amazing! Well for The Netherlands thats something very out of the ordinary! A month ago I have seen plenty on Gran Canaria in habitat. Nice to see a good one closer to home.

Alexander
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Alexander wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:Ready for growing season nummero 10, which means a small celebration. At this moment it start to flower, counted 8 this week, but there are another few coming.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
That Phoenix canariensis looks amazing! Well for The Netherlands thats something very out of the ordinary! A month ago I have seen plenty on Gran Canaria in habitat. Nice to see a good one closer to home.

Alexander
Thanks Alexander!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Plants looking great.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Hopefully we will get warm summers and supermild winters the coming years. Then that P. canariensis will grow fast into a nice tree!

But one day you will get a cold winter vissiting again, then how to protect it.

Alexander
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Some records that has been broken in those 4 cold winters, were more then 50 years old or even older. If it is going to take another 50 years, then I am left already to warmer places on this world.

Winters don't need to be frostfree like this one (but i would not mind either of course), but just before the colder row will be enough. The winters before where never cold enough to kill a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.

For now, I don't want to think negative and just enjoy the palm so long I can. 23C here today which is good specially after this mild winter, growth is much further then other years. If there is another killer winter coming, I will have a look on that moment or don't because I left Holland already. Going to Australia this year and you never know...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Australia could be nice. No cold winters there, except a few mountainareas.

Alexander
dk

Post by dk »

Wow, impressive palm and inflorescences EL! icon_thumleft
Alexander wrote:Australia could be nice. No cold winters there, except a few mountainareas.
I lived in Brisbane for more than a year and missed the rain from time to time, believe it or not! :shock:

Living there was great except for the warmest (most humid) and coldest weeks of the year. Actually the "winters" can feel quite cold unless you got a heater on during the nights, but day time temperatures are always nice. Spring and autumn had the best temperatures between 15-25 degrees night and day. Not too warm during the night and just perfect during the day. For me at least! icon_thumleft

Sadly the distances and air fares when visiting family were too high for me, so I did not stay. But I'll settle for the Med instead in a few years time!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

dk wrote:Wow, impressive palm and inflorescences EL! icon_thumleft
Alexander wrote:Australia could be nice. No cold winters there, except a few mountainareas.
I lived in Brisbane for more than a year and missed the rain from time to time, believe it or not! :shock:

Living there was great except for the warmest (most humid) and coldest weeks of the year. Actually the "winters" can feel quite cold unless you got a heater on during the nights, but day time temperatures are always nice. Spring and autumn had the best temperatures between 15-25 degrees night and day. Not too warm during the night and just perfect during the day. For me at least! icon_thumleft

Sadly the distances and air fares when visiting family were too high for me, so I did not stay. But I'll settle for the Med instead in a few years time!
Well Brisbane should be pretty humid with enough rain. They get some rainforest there if I am right. And their winter is a bit like a Dutch summer.
But when you are used to very wet Norway then most places are pretty dry. Well the Med can be pretty dry as well...

Alexander