LILIUM NEPALENSE

kata

LILIUM NEPALENSE

Post by kata »

Goggle will love this Lily, I know I do,
nepaleselily2.jpg
nepaleselily2.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
Once it stops flowering you stop watering.
It prefers a slightly acidic, humus rich and free-draining soil, so if you are planting outside add plenty of leaf mould and horticultural grit to your soil. Like clematis, the Lily of Nepal needs to keeps its roots in the shade while its head stays in either semi-shade or full sun so make sure that it gets a good top dressing of either gravel, ornamental or composted bark to keep the heat off the soil.
nepaleselily1.jpg
http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... nepal.html
Garden of Eden for more Infomation.

I bought one bulb from De Jager just now....£6.50 but if my other De Jager Lily bulbs are anything to go by I shall be well pleased.

http://www.dejager.co.uk/_-Nepalense-_p ... ?pid=17290
charliepridham

Re: LILIUM NEPALENSE

Post by charliepridham »

kept in going here in the ground for about 5 years then it suddenly failed to come up after that cold winter, lovely thing, wish I had collected seed now :(
kata

Post by kata »

You should be able to buy seed Charlie,

Were the flowers as big as they look? De Jeger will not send mine till early March. Thats ok we had frost last night.

Sorry you lost your Nepalense, it would have been some height... :(
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

It never grew more than 2' before flowering but the flowers were large for the height, it may have been where I had planted it as my book said "Grows among Bamboo" and I took them literally and planted it with a clump of Phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis which probably wasn't a great long term idea :)

Here is a not so great picture of it while still alive!
lilium nepalense by charliepridham, on Flickr
kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: Great size flowers Charlie, you won't buy those at pound shops.. :lol:

Some Bamboo is rampant I heard, could the roots of the Bamboo have strangled the Nepalense plant...What a shame it was a belter Charlie...thanks for sharing!

I have the very area, I have a 6ft fence, it can be shady for the roots (a requirement) and sunny for the flowers. I need to get my son to put in some rings on the fence to hold it when flowers grow. I just ordered some Wessex manure too the other day so that will be good..

Later tonight I want to order some real nice compost from QVC. They were showing it from the bag and it looks lovely and dark.

icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

I looked at your Flickr Charlie,

Lapageria 'Collinge', Lapageria beatrix anderson, Cobaea pringlei, some that stood out.

I do have Flickr, not much on and I was going to comment on yours but as usual can't find user and pass.

chicken house wall9Awesome!! Bet your wife loved you whilst that was going on.

:lol: :lol:
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

:D At least we dont live in the house you can see in that picture! thats my very understanding neighbour who has allowed me to trash his garden :shock:
kata

Post by kata »

Is Roseland house yours Charlie...looks great.

Two Roses and I will look at your list later are

Brother Cadfial which I now have tw0 in standards due to first delivery having a dead branch so David Austin sent a new one for free.

The flowers were lovely just was lop sided with the branch missing.
brothercadfael2013.jpg
brothercadfael2013.jpg (159.49 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
And I am going to order Happy Retirement, a very prolific flowerer. My sis has that and its full of flowers for months.

I want it as a half-standard and they do one at one site.
happyretirementrose.jpg
happyretirementrose.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

I have them as well, some them died the last few winters, but sometimes I see coming them up again. They are really attract lilly beetles.
PICT0002.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Yea EL, I can see Lilly Beetles all over them flowers,

I was looking at a seed catalogue this afternoon and they had that Lily but far more expensive than I paid....£11.50 for one bulb..then postage.. :ahhh!:

I paid £11.50 inc postage.

Thats a smasher as well...I love them, what do we feed them?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I wouldn't mind growing this one, it looks perfect for my garden.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

I don't feed them at all. They don't like dry ground, which my garden is when spring/summer heat and sunshine is coming combinated with a sandy soil.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks EL!

icon_cheers
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

kata wrote:Is Roseland house yours Charlie...looks great

[t]
Yes that's me.

Love the roses, down here I can only grow the big ramblers and species well, a lot of the new ones fizzel out after a couple of seasons.

I Have my suspicions about the role lily Beatle played in the dissapearance of my plant.

One point worth noting, the flowers hang down, so if you can plant in a raised position it helps to see them better
kata

Post by kata »

One point worth noting, the flowers hang down, so if you can plant in a raised position it helps to see them better
Yes :lol: I have large Tropical Lillies and they are the same, hard to photograph too.

Putting the plant in a pot I think,

Its a tall pot, just for this year Charlie. Thing is I am a tenant here and been waiting and bidding a new place for three years now, so much wrong with this garden. Leylandi has more holes than Swiss cheese... :lol: :lol:

Suffering the backend of anothers garage at the bottom of the garden, a border where I see only a half.

Its hard to garden when you want to leave.

Anyway I look forward to the new plant next week or there abouts. I ordered a neat feeder yesterday.
goldfinchfeeder.jpg