Seedling ID?

timj17

Seedling ID?

Post by timj17 »

This sprouted from a pot of old seeds I collected in Madiera 4 years ago. I never got round to trying them so threw them in a pot last summer.

It could be an exotic fruit we tried? Or from some seeds I bought in the market in Funchal. Any ideas or too early to tell?

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
kata

Re: Seedling ID?

Post by kata »

Hey, it looks great Tim,

I can only say it looks tropical, sorry!I know you say Madeira but a wandering seed could have come in so I say tropical by the trunk/stem to be safe.

But four years...wow! Am Interested what Conifers thinks it could be.

icon_sunny
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

It looks like a Dracaena draco seedling to me.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Jce,

If that seedling is that Dracaena draco then I am as jealous as, well jealous... :lol: :lol:
dracaenadraco.jpg
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

It does look like a number of plants but I would also pip for Dracaena draco as it is native to Madeira so is the most likely.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

Thanks for your replies.

I hope it is a Dracaena, I've always liked them. I also remember picking up some random seeds in the park near the hotel, so could have been from there. What do you think of it's survival chances in Sunny Devon?

I also had two seeds grow from what I think was a custard apple, but they have been eaten by something.

Many thanks, I'll post an update when it's grown a bit to see if you can confirm it as a Dragon.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

May be a Dracaena, but it isn't Dracaena draco - that has much less stem growth for the number of leaves.

Here's some Dracaena draco seedlings for comparison
Attachments
Picture 032a.jpg
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Do you remember what the seed looked like?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I was going to say a rather elongated Dracaena Draco but Conifer's comments have more currency.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

I can't remember what the seed looked like.

It was grown on a heat pad in my garage with very little light then moved to an individual pot on the floor of the greenhouse again without a lot of light so that could have made it a bit elongated?
timj17

Post by timj17 »

Also threw some old palm seeds in the pot from jungle seeds back in 2010 and 2 Butia Yatay came up which was a nice surprise.
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/dracaena_draco.htm

I stilll reckon it's a Dracaeana draco seedling, have a look at the link, it looks like a 4 month seedling.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jcec1 wrote:http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/dracaena_draco.htm

I stilll reckon it's a Dracaeana draco seedling, have a look at the link, it looks like a 4 month seedling.
That's not a Dracaena draco either :wink:

Remember Dracaena draco has to establish a thick stem base before it starts adding height. It doesn't do that in just 4 months. The ones in my photo were a couple of years old, and still with no visible stem.

My guess would be Dracaena fragrans or Dracaena marginata; they have slender, fast-growing stems like the mystery seedling.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

Thanks for your replies. Just googled fragrans and marginata, I'm not so keen on those, they look like houseplants. Time will tell I guess!
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Hi Tim, just caught up with this thread, and am guessing that it is a Dracaena Draco that you've got. I've just bought my seedling out of the greenhouse and looks very much like yours does. I also got one a few years ago (looked exactly the same) from Wyvale, stuck at the back indoors, dried out completely, I bought it and grew it on.

Here's my pics to compare
Picture 3646 [800x600].jpg
Picture 3645 [800x600].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.