Fritillaria imperialis

kata

Fritillaria imperialis

Post by kata »

I bought three from the pound shop last spring, put them in a cupboard and forgot about them...doh!!

They looked suspect but begger it lets plant them. I am almost 99% sure which pot they got put in and I have been looking out for them to emerge.

Late last week I saw a bud, this week its massive and starting to open into 'something' shall we say...almost sure its at least one Fritillaria imperialis, color, I have no idea.

How long I wonder till its like this... icon_sunny
berlinblueteorange.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Fritillaria imperialis

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kata your favourite bug loves to eat these.....
kata

Post by kata »

Guessing Lily Beetle :lol:

RHS

Host range
Both adults and larvae damage lilies (Lilium and Cardiocrinum spp and hybrids) and fritillaries (Fritillaria spp.) primarily by defoliation, but in heavy infestations the flowers, seed capsules and stems will also be eaten. Although adult beetles have been found occasionally feeding on other plant species, only lilies and fritillaries are true hosts, on which eggs are laid and larvae develop.

The lily beetle has been observed on 82 hybrid Lilium, 30 Lilium species, one Cardiocrinum species and seven Fritillaria species.
Control
At present gardeners rely on pesticides or hand picking to control this pest, but the long period over which the adults are active (late March to October), can make this difficult. Pesticides for use against lily beetle include those containing pyrethrum, deltamethrin, thiacloprid, imidacloprid or acetamiprid. Adequate control in areas where the pest is abundant may require measures to be repeated during spring and summer.
!DOH! :(

Thanks Kris! icon_cheers
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Do you have problems with red Lily beetle Kate? I have been lucky so far to avoid them - just Vine weevil and Slugs.

Am trying red fritillaria imperialis this year - I got them free from T&M with Tesco clubcard vouchers and using magazine codes. From what I know it only takes 3-4 months from them to flower. I planted mine on their side covered in Perlite for drainage. I have other fritillaria in the same bed, so expect them to at least come up. I will post a pic if they flower - I think they look promising.
kata

Post by kata »

Not exactly sure that the huge bud is Fritillaries Blairs yet,

There should have been three but as I never planted till six months or more after buying and they looks suspect due to being in the bag in heat from cooking and the hot summer we had, I don't know if its one, or if any of the three will come up..

It was me having a cupboard clean out that I found them or they would be there yet. Its not really a cupboard I use daily.

At the moment maybe one bud. The other two may follow or may have been eaten.

I recall something about 'on the side' for these plants, I hope yours do well. I had for years promised to own all colours in these especially yellow ones. I think the three I bought should be red.

They usually come in garlic tainted shredding stuff which I put on the top, I believe I am in the right pot Blairs.
unknown2014feb.jpg