What is killing my Washingtonias

timj17

What is killing my Washingtonias

Post by timj17 »

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone had some advice on this fungus/mould/insect killing spears on my Washingtonia seedlings. Also seems to affect Jubaea seedlings to a lesser extract but everything else is unaffected.

I've tried a fungus spray but I didn't seem to help a lot, I've also put a fan in the greenhouse now.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
RogerBacardy

Re: What is killing my Washingtonias

Post by RogerBacardy »

Hi there.

You're in a very mild area and the soil looks quite damp. Mild temps and damp conditions when the plants aren't growing much = rotting / fungus.

If it were me, I'd allow the soil to almost dry out between waterings and either open up the greenhouse vents, or take them out of the greenhouse and place next to your house (against a sunny wall).

I have palm seedlings (Jubaea, Washingtonia, Sabal minor, etc.).which I do exactly that with,they've been left out all winter against a sheltered sunny wall, and they look fine.

Obviously, if we suddenly got sub zero temps I'd protect them a bit more, but as it stands I think they benefit from the air flow and not being in a humid greenhouse.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Totally agree, lack of air flow in your greenhouse is also a huge problem. I separated about 5 each from 2 pots a couple of years ago and I had the same problem you had. They were a similar size to yours and about 4 died, the greenhouse was often shut as the cold lasted into early April. This winter the greenhouse has been open most days and I've had no problems. I'd keep your greenhouse door open unless you get a cold spell.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll crank the fan up for now and get them outside or open the door as it warms up.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes, Washingtonia don't like too much humidity, particularly with stagnant air. Get them outside while not frosty :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright