musa sikkimensis

kata

Re: musa sikkimensis

Post by kata »

Thanks for the update Blairs, they are still worth it at £5.00
E. Ventricosum Maureliias plug plants.
Thanks Lys! I will keep an eye on those coming in as I am using only for bedding and recycling like last years..

icon_cheers
daz

Post by daz »

Thanks for the reply's peeps icon_salut i have just took the hat of my siki and it look really good.This year i tred to over winter in a different way.I got a 4" pipe and filled it with polystyrene balls (see pics)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

got mine from himilayan gardens, sent out as dry corms. bit of heat and they get going. lovely striping
1000694_399568966815110_147774859_n.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Daz, you little tease, which pics.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats beautiful F.F!

icon_sunny
Andy J

Post by Andy J »

My Sikki came back from nothing after our cold winter planted out with minimal protection.. i was convinced it was dead yet it managed to put on around 3ft of stem last summer. Its just had a fleece bag over it this winter and it feels like its put on a little growth.

It does seem to be hardier than its often given credit for, although not as hardy as a Basjoo.
kata

Post by kata »

I buried two seeds last week, hope they germinate but they are outside,

I am going to buy a Sikki though.

:lol:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

They should make a hybrid of Musa sikkimensis Red Tiger with M. basjoo. The hardiness of Musa basjoo with the stripes of M. sikkimensis.

Alexander
daz

Post by daz »

Hi

Yes i agree that would make a stunning plant :D
derrick

Post by derrick »

I do like the stripes on Sikki .How do you store them winter time ? I always loose the stem on them .A hybrid would be great something more hardy .
daz

Post by daz »

Hi

For over wintering i normally just fleece.However the last couple of winter's i have lost them due to the very cold winter.This winter i did something different.I got a 4" pipe put it over the plant and them filled it with polystyrene balls you know the ones that you get in a bean bag.Seems to have worked this year but saying that we have had a really mild winter. ill post a pic .
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Hopefully unwrapping mine in the next week or so.
It's in the un heated GH and it's pushing a new leaf out through the straw icon_cheers
The only problem with my red tiger was that the taller it got, the leaves lost there markings
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

Mowgley wrote:Hopefully unwrapping mine in the next week or so.
It's in the un heated GH and it's pushing a new leaf out through the straw icon_cheers
The only problem with my red tiger was that the taller it got, the leaves lost there markings
Quite agree with the loss of markings as all of mine were plain green after two seasons however the pups they throw up have the stripes so hopefully will have a constant supply of stripes???
Mine are outside all the time and treated as Basjoo..........so far no problems with hardiness for me icon_thumleft
derrick

Post by derrick »

I lost the stems even in a unheated conservatory .Don't know why ?
kata

Post by kata »

Sorry to hear that Derrick.. :(

I decided to wait to buy another till May time. I would love a strpe one.

icon_cheers