Which type of clear wood preserve for a raised bed

piechnik99

Which type of clear wood preserve for a raised bed

Post by piechnik99 »

Apologies for the stupid question! :oops:

I am hopefully looking at painting a raised bed later today - and due to the grey/ash colour of the scaffold planks, I was thinking of using a clear stain.

Thing is, I've no idea what fence stain/varnish would be suiatble!!!

Would this one from wickes do the job?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/clear-wood-pres ... wwodX0UAyA

I've got the impression that some of these clear preserver are classed as an undercoat and need another coat of a colour slapping on top...

As with all my gardening jobs, money is always a consideration so the cheaper the better! I'm painting approximately 8 planks - 8ft in length. Any tips????

Thanks! :oops:
Kristen

Re: Which type of clear wood preserve for a raised bed

Post by Kristen »

Don't know the answer to your question, but presumably this is not for vegetables / edibles?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yacht Varnish would be my suggestion.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Kristen wrote:Don't know the answer to your question, but presumably this is not for vegetables / edibles?
No, its plants/annuals etc.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Yacht Varnish would be my suggestion.
Cheers! icon_salut
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

piechnik99 wrote: I am hopefully looking at painting a raised bed later today - and due to the grey/ash colour of the scaffold planks, I was thinking of using a clear stain.
If you want to keep the grey colour, go for a water seal product like Thompsons , which soaks deep into the timber as it goes on like water itself. For just a couple of quid more you can get a 5l tin from B&Q approx £20 and cheaper if you have a trade card. Cheapest would be from Screwfix i.e their "no nonsense" brand at £17.99 for 5litres..........

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-w ... 5ltr/57474

Personally, i'd avoid varnish