New Palm Tree

waggy1

New Palm Tree

Post by waggy1 »

Last weekend I collected a palm tree I had purchased on Ebay for £67. The previous owner told me that the tree had gone from pillar to post, as he had moved house numerous times and its current environment was no longer supporting it, due to an exposed coastal climate and because it could do with being planted in the ground, and not a barrel. He told me that he paid £360 for the plant 10 years ago.

I've bought some more palm feed for this year. hopefully it will produce some foliage and be more photogenic in the future.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Last edited by waggy1 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flounder

Re: New Palm Tree

Post by flounder »

They always look ropey when they have a street light growing out of them :wink:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Great buy and in 2 years timeout should be grand again
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It'll look brilliant in 2017. icon_thumleft
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

Thanks. I will keep a look out for the growth for new leaf shoots, and then I reckon it will be just a matter of time. Although it was in a big half barrel I'm sure it was in need of repotting or putting in the ground. The barrel was burnt the other evening due to rot and it's falling apart at the seems.
kata

Post by kata »

You were very brave Waggy to pay that kind of money for a palm looking like that...defoliated. It should 'come to'..eventually.
They always look ropey when they have a street light growing out of them
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

It actually looks like one Gary was selling on ebay last year from Sunderland.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I think that's a great buy, a bargain. Obviously, it's suffered due to the drying effects of wind and being in a barrel so the roots have not been able to support the transpiration, but planted inland, in the soil with a gravel mulch, I reckon it'll look great by this autumn. :)

That' s a lot of trunk for less than £70. Everyone's a winner in this deal!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Searched the net.....Gary sold it on ebay April 2012.....7ft tunk.....with a slight kink in the trunk
AKA - Martin

Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Are you going to trim the roots or just plant it as it is?

Some people would hack them back a bit to encourage new root growth and my instinct would be to do this, but I can't say I really know what's best. I planted a slightly sickly looking bargain Trachycarpus a few years ago, and I suspect that it would have sulked less if I'd been a bit more brutal with it before I planted it.
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

I planted it as it was, but before planting I teased the roots out around the sides as it seemed root bound.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great buy, it just needs to settle down i think.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

flounder wrote:They always look ropey when they have a street light growing out of them :wink:
I thought it was a giant golf club :lol:
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

Thanks Rob. I hope so, and BTW I enjoy having a look at your blog every so often to see what your are up to.

One good thing about that giant gold club is that it gives my front garden some night time lighting.