Spring clean

PaulPlants

Spring clean

Post by PaulPlants »

The great weather today encouraged me out there to get cracking on the spring tidy! Unwanted bamboos trimmed, evergreens and dogwoods pruned and last years basjoo and Gunnera leaves cleared away. Only a few jobs done but I can already see a big difference!
Attachments
Huge pile of Musa leaves
Huge pile of Musa leaves
image.jpg
I love the alien appearance of the emerging Gunnera leaves
I love the alien appearance of the emerging Gunnera leaves
multim

Re: Spring clean

Post by multim »

A good time to look for unwelcome weeds before they take hold, such as bird-sown holly and ivy.
kata

Post by kata »

Also Couchgrass, I removed loads and I see it popping up again,

:(
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I did a soring clean a couple of weeks ago, even cut the grass but nothing since Paul, i can't wait to rearrange borders etc, forecast looks good this weekend so hoping to get stuck in.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Looks like that Gunnera's about to start romping away Paul, how long till it's in full leaf?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

This is the Springs I love, dry, sunny, and early in March. Great start to the growing season, after the washout mild winter!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have already finished my spring cleaning of the garden, ready now for the plants to grow.
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Multim & Kata - I don't have too much trouble with weeds... I'm chock-a-block with plants! Couch grass is a pain, no holly seedlings and the ivy I let grow (controlled!)... But I've always loved it! I also get lots of annual Euphorbia seedlings but I enjoy those filling the (tiny) gaps!

Deedee - me too! I have a whole area to dip up and replant... I will do on my next day off (working in retail, weekends as most know them come rarely!).

Nigel, I would say the Gunnera is slightly ahead of last year, but only by a week or two. I've attached a pic of it in May last year. I got some HUGE leave last year... Can't wait to see what this year offers!

Cordyman... I'm excited like you!

Without too much frost I should have Musa leaves in a few weeks!
Attachments
Gunners 23 May 2013
Gunners 23 May 2013
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Nigel - I've attached a pic of the Gunnera in August 2013 too... It was great
Attachments
Aug 2013
Aug 2013
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Now its time for spring planning for the future of the garden .
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

how come the gunnera doesn't stretch forward and swamp the smaller plants?
do you do anything to keep it upright
pdid

Post by pdid »

PaulPlants wrote:Nigel - I've attached a pic of the Gunnera in August 2013 too... It was great
Great planting.

I'm yet to do my Spring tidy although everything is now unwrapped. It'll get done at the back end of March when I pot up canna and dahlia.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That August shot looks great Paul. 8)
Amazing how things put on so much growth in so little time, I've added a timer system to help with some of my own borders, yours looks as though it requires a lot of moisture, do you water mostly, or have a timer?
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Mr List - the Gunnera is standing there by itself. I did have to remove one HUGE leaf from the front of the border (and I took a week to pluck up the courage). But as it is planted on a north facing border it stretches tall to peer over the brick wall for some sunshine. It's in complete shade until it's 4ft tall.

Nigel - I do water, but not every day. I have added massive amount of compost and underneath that is heavy clay which stays moist all summer under all that humus. On the days I do water, it's given a lot! It has taken maybe 8 years to get this size... But this summer it will be even more amazing!

I must add, if you plant a Gunnera, plant it where you can touch it. The leaves are like corse sandpaper and the stems look so sharp and evil, but they are rubbery spikes that don't harm!
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

The weather has been absolutely gorgeous today. Got the lawn mowed, done loads of weeding then sprinkled loads of chicken pellets round the garden then gave everything a good water. My tree ferns are looking great, still got all their fronds :D