Gardeners World 2014

fern Rob

Re: Gardeners World 2014

Post by fern Rob »

Going to have to watch this on catch up.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I know GW is a bit like Marmite. But I religiously watch it. Great chill out watch although I must admit to fast forwarding the odd segment.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

fern Rob wrote:Going to have to watch this on catch up.
Repeated on Sunday mornings.... icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Adam D wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote: To be fair he's finaly got rid of it all and burnt all the box! Must be quite sad for him
Agreed, he said that he planted them out 15 years ago and my eldest will be 15 years old this summer and to have to get rid of something that you have cared and nurtured for for that long must be difficult.
I've got 800+ box plants here, mostly in 1L containers, that I grew from cuttings - the plan was to make a parterre of some sort. Took the cuttings about 4 years ago and they are now a decent size and ready for planting, but I've been seriously wondering what to do with them because of Box Blight ...

Now thinking of a windy path and "organic" / weird (well, for me anyway!) topiary area, along the lines of Jacques Wirtz in Belgium:

or something like Bourton House, Coltwolds:

with a view to putting a land-drain in the planting trench so that the Box plants then have very good drainage ... but the whole project could then die on my, from Box blight, anyway :(

I've more recently grown another 800 or 1,000 cuttings of various forms of variegated Euonymous with a view to trying them instead ... not sure what to do really :(

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I would love to have a Knot garden, and use Light / Dark colours to emphasise the "Under" / "Over" threads. Perhaps based on a Celtic pattern

nige pook

Post by nige pook »

I do fing GW a tad irritating at times! Granted they featured a garden that showed some of the types of plants that we on this forum like to grow. Then they breeze through it with little if any reference to the plants displayed,let alone any care or cutural tips to encourage others to try with these beautiful examples! Many other segments like veggie growing,of which there always seems more than plenty,shows in depth growing tips and advice. Come on Gardeners World,get with the times! We dont all have the space to grow veggies AND exotics,so give over a bit more time to encouraging people to try these beautiful plants please!!
Nige
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

nige pook wrote:Granted they featured a garden that showed some of the types of plants that we on this forum like to grow. Then they breeze through it with little if any reference to the plants displayed,let alone any care or cutural tips to encourage others to try with these beautiful examples!
They frequently say "All the details are on the website" - I can see nothing useful there. Time was they used to flash up the name of the plant on screen and, in the days before video, my Mother would desperately write it down, or shout it out as a duty to my Father!

Now more often than not I have to fiddle around with iPlayer trying to get to the exact spot where the plant's name was mentioned because I never find it on the BBC website which just seems to have a synopsis of the program, not a list of plant names that would be much more useful.
We dont all have the space to grow veggies AND exotics
Get an allotment? :mrgreen:

The fact that there are often long waiting lists for allotments suggests to me that the grow-to-eat proportion of the country is large and thus warrants details on the telly ... although ... there are plenty of forums for Veggi growers to get info, similarly to this forum and, talking black-is-white for a moment, there is no greater need for Veggie information than anything and thus GW could feature more stuff that is out-of-the-ordinary :)

But ... it was GW that got me into this. They suggesting sowing Canna seeds in Autumn, and using supplemental light to get them through the winter, so I bought Canna seed and a Metal Halide light (as you do!!) and ... here I am 8)
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

My point was that i choose to grow tropicals because they are unusual and look interesting! I dont want an allotment because i dont want to grow veggies! Therefore i think,impo,they should devote a little more time to the more unusual plants with info given. A little less time on veggie production. I'll get off my soap box now.
Nige