Gardeners World 2014

CW01

Re: Gardeners World 2014

Post by CW01 »

Started alright then same old, Roses again!!!! :roll:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh....all lost as above....BUT it's on again on Sunday morning.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
pdid

Post by pdid »

It was ok, pretty standard really. Nice to see collies and cannas but I bet there won't be any next week.
kata

Post by kata »

Lost the sound so I turned off the recording,

Dozy gits!

:lol: :lol:
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

kata wrote:Lost the sound so I turned off the recording,l:
Same here with my recording and after fast forwarding it didnt seem to come back.
went to iplayer instead and its fine on there.

Post by kata »

Its not like they never had plenty time to get it right before public saw it, surely they test their programs before release?

I may as well delete what I recorded.

Thanks Lizzie about Iplayer!

:mrgreen:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Just watched it. The garden in Wales worked well despite the wet conditions. The gardener came across as really nice and knowledgeable. I liked her term 'botanical bed' for the Canna, Colocasia etc.

She made a good point about raising plants in wet conditions. I used to remove all the stones and rocks that I find in my garden (the ponds to the south of my house are actually a flooded sandstone mine, so I find a lot) but now I am using them to retain heat and for drainage.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Codfather wrote:BUT it's on again on Sunday morning.
Just prior to watching it this morning was another chance to watch the " Italian Gardens" series . This mornings episode was "The South", taking in La Mortella ( amongst others) on the isle of Ischia...............simply stunning exotics / tropicals. If you've not seen it, it should be available on Iplayer..............not to be missed imo.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Thought it was quite good.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Montbeliardii' had a bit of flooding to contend with.
A "bit"? :lol:
gw01.jpg
gw02.jpg
gw03.jpg
iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/
kata wrote:Its not like they never had plenty time to get it right before public saw it, surely they test their programs before release?

I may as well delete what I recorded.
no loss of picture of sound on the broadcast here, must have been a fault at the local transmitter I reckon.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I was :shock: when that woman said she was growing cannas and nana's on sogging ground !!!!
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:I was :shock: when that woman said she was growing cannas and nana's on sogging ground !!!!

Cannas love boggy ground and can be grown in ponds in summer. "The wetter the better"
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Watched it last night, the only part I would of enjoyed had no bloomin sound.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
The Codfather wrote:I was :shock: when that woman said she was growing cannas and nana's on sogging ground !!!!

Cannas love boggy ground and can be grown in ponds in summer. "The wetter the better"
icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

icon_scratch

Text from Hart Canna website
Water Cannas These are a distinct type of floral canna which are intended for growing in ponds with the roots totally immersed in water. They were bred by the Longwood Gardens in Pensylvania, USA, and the parentage includes C. glauca which is found in shallow water. They are all tall, around 2 meters, with narrow lance-shaped glaucous foliage. The flowers are very attractive, but rather spidery. There are 4 varieties, all named after ships: 'Ra' (yellow), 'Erebus' (pink), 'Endeavour' (red), 'Taney' (orange). They should be propagated by division because the rhizomes are small and do not over-winter well if allowed to go dormant. They produce seeds, but the seeds do not come true. It is an enigma that Water Cannas can equally well be grown in the garden border, and that most other cannas can also be grown in water. The name rather identifies a tall narrow glaucous plant with attractive spidery flowers.
They can tolerate extended periods of drought, yet they are quite happy even growing standing in water, or even totally immersed in water.