New Butia beast is home! Need a feed?

doncasterpalmguy123

Re: New Butia beast is home! Need a feed?

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Make sure to keep us updated sam, would love to see a pic of it in the ground or whatever :-)
kata

Post by kata »

Well done on the sale Sam!

icon_cheers
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Springy wrote:Nice to see that someone on here got it! icon_cheers
I didn't realise it was in such a big pot but I can see that now. Good to hear that you got some other bit too. icon_thumleft
A lovely palm as all Butias are. It looks to have taken some frost damage which is a shame
Springy.... remember this beast??? :lol:
16-5-12 004_t.jpg
Its still alive... revived by that july heat last year :D
Springy

Post by Springy »

Andy Martin wrote:
Springy wrote:Nice to see that someone on here got it! icon_cheers
I didn't realise it was in such a big pot but I can see that now. Good to hear that you got some other bit too. icon_thumleft
A lovely palm as all Butias are. It looks to have taken some frost damage which is a shame
Springy.... remember this beast??? :lol:
16-5-12 004_t.jpg
Its still alive... revived by that july heat last year :D
Yes Andy, I remember shifting it down two flights of steps to get it there!! Still got the chiropractor bill to prove it!! icon_thumright :lol: Not seen that photo before...I'm 6ft tall so it shows just how big it is!
Glad to hear that it's still ok though! icon_thumleft

I don't think that samtobuk had quite the same problem of steps but that pot still must have been bloomin heavy!! :shock:

Are they both the same species of Butia but just grown differently?
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

You're right, no steps for me, but did take three men to get it our of the car (where it was horizontal obviously) and onto the ground, then it moved fairly easily on a sack-truck over some lumpy ground and then down into the garden.

How I'm going to get it out of that pot I don't know - probably will end up cutting the pot away as can't see me being able to 'roll' it out! :lol:
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Good stuff Sam - looks a lovely specimen!

I bought a Butia Capitata which i'm planting in a large ish pot (and sinking into a raised bed near the front of my house). I was advised John Innes number 3 compost in the pot, but am I right in thinking Butia detest their roots being loosened from the original plant? I'm planting into a sunken pot so I can shift it under cover if/when the weather turns bad as I live a few hundred metres above sea level. I lost around 3 biggish potted Phoenix canariensis_CIDP during the winters of 10/11 (who didnt!) and didn't want to take the chance again....
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

As I was back at the sellers house today digging out the Trachys, so asked if the Butia was hit by any recent winters. She confirmed that in the 2010/11 they thought they'd lost it as it completely defoliated, and then it started to put some new spears up the following summer.

So ......... given that this is definitely smaller regrowth, will it ever fully recover to leaves of its former glory, and if so how many seasons of growth does that tend to take?? Will of course make sure it is now pampered and fed to its hearts content! :D