evergreen climbers for a mild, afternoon sun fence

otorongo

evergreen climbers for a mild, afternoon sun fence

Post by otorongo »

I have new border space to fill up after the storms took my blowaway greenhouse.

I'm going to plant a basjoo in the border and I'm looking to cover the fence behind it. It's quite sheltered, being between a brick shed wall (and close to the house wall) and an evergreen (?) buddleia.
The fence is SW-facing and the buddleia blocks some light so it doesn't get much sun until around midday, maybe 11am for the parts closer to the house, and may get more sun in the summer. After that it gets full afternoon sun. Of course the basjoo will cast some shade on the fence once it's grown enough.

I'm looking for something evergreen, ideally flowering at odd times of year to provide year-round interest.The spot is mild and I'd like to take advantage of that and plant something unusual and tender-ish.

One idea is the Clematis armandii 'Apple Blossom' I got yesterday, it's still potted and wanting to be planted. But I'd like to have a lush mixture of intermingling vines with various kinds of foliage and flowers at different seasons.

The fence (i.e. different sections of it) already has Rhodichitons, 2 kinds of Pandorea jasminoides, Eccremocarpus scaber, Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles', Clematis 'Winter Beauty', variegated Abutilon megapotamicum and several types of Passiflora.

Any ideas welcome :)
Mr List

Re: evergreen climbers for a mild, afternoon sun fence

Post by Mr List »

some evergreen honeysuckles for scent
evergreen climbing hydrangeas

if you want rare and unusual search on crug,
they often have some things that would be a tad too tender for me but would be fine for you
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Mr List wrote:some evergreen honeysuckles for scent
evergreen climbing hydrangeas

if you want rare and unusual search on crug,
they often have some things that would be a tad too tender for me but would be fine for you
Cheers icon_thumleft I have a honeysuckle at the very back, never seen it flower, could be due to the shade or neglect.
And I have a Hydrangea seemanii on the opposite fence in deep shade.

Will check out crug.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Trachelospermum jasminoides

lovely leaves, lovely smell

flowers in summer so may go well with your spring flowering clematis (though the clem is a bit of a brute so may swamp anything else it shares a trellis with)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

this was my clematis armandii (snow drift) growth last year. from about 80cm to over 3 metres in 6 months, its carried on growing over winter and is escaping over the roof at the moment (4+ metres)

lovely plant though
clem.jpg
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

I have mentioned this before but I grow Trachelospermum jasminoides, Campsis grandiflora and a couple of little Clematis on the wall behind my tree fern. By choosing an early and mid flowering Clematis I have flowers from May until September... And they are all so different!
Attachments
You can just about see one of the Clematis on the left
You can just about see one of the Clematis on the left