Why are the leaves like this? Trachycarpus New Purchase

multim

Re: Why are the leaves like this? Trachycarpus New Purchase

Post by multim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:29 pm

When I plant mine, I excavate the planting hole then mix in a bag of composted stable manure with the soil, then plant and back fill. Pardon the pun but it makes them grow like stink!

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 pm

It looks really healthy specimen.

J4MES

Post by J4MES » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks guys. So I guess they will get more alike as time goes on but as with all plants will vary slightly. As long as they aren't strikingly different like they are now they will look ok! I checked it properly in the daylight and it seems like it may have just been dug, there is a gap of fresh compost around the edge of the pot where the roots haven't reached and the cuts to the lower fonds are fresh.

I assume it will go into sulking mode soon and loose the dark green colour for a year or two until it gets going!

I'm going to start feeding the bigger one, I hadn't actually given it anything last year apart from including some miracle grow pellets in when planting but reading on here I realise I should be using palm booster / fertiliser. Should I start feeding now? How often would you recommend? Hoping to green it up a bit now it's coming into its 2 year.