cycas

bamboo bibb

cycas

Post by bamboo bibb »

I have a large cycas in the garden still under cover do you think it would be fine to uncover it or would you leave well alone just yet?, My two smaller ones have been over wintered in a unheated greenhouse in there pots and are looking great.
Nigel Fear

Re: cycas

Post by Nigel Fear »

If you're refering to Cycas revoluta, I have a few outside that haven,t required covering at all this winter, so I,d say, yes go for it now.I appreciate your temps could be potentially colder than here, so keep an eye on the weather, and fleece them only if you have to.[say, heavy snow, or -3 or lower is predicted].
If you leave it too long, you could possibly run the risk of sun-burn on the leaves,so better to acclimatise to the sun while it,s weak at the moment, or leaf distortion on the others, if they,re moved mid-flush.
multim

Post by multim »

Yes uncover, but as suggested watch for sun scorch. Mine has been planted outside for some years and I only cover with a blanket at minus 5c or lower.
kata

Post by kata »

It would be frostbite here... :lol: :lol:
multim

Post by multim »

Remembering that mine is planted against a SE wall which retains heat. Only in 2009/10 Winter did the leaves turn to straw............until it flushed in June.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Well i have un covered my Cyatheas and they are fine so far, I think if i was you i would remove the cycads winter protection.
bamboo bibb

Post by bamboo bibb »

Thanks for the comments im going to uncover today and just watch the night temps. the ones in the greenhouse are coming out as well, need to make room for seed sewing if I can get in for aeoniums ,cannas ,bannanas etc.
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Down here in Essex mine are outside all year with just a cover during heavy frosts (if I remember). Winter 12/13 hit one of them bad and it didn't flush last year... I'm not giving up yet!
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I believe I'm approx. the same latitude north as Castleford. I once had a Cycas revoluta completely defoliate after a late April frost. None of my Cycads are out doors yet.
Simba

Post by Simba »

PaulPlants wrote:... I'm not giving up yet!
And rightly so.....I believe that as long as the caudex remains firm then given time it will flush again.... icon_thumleft
Steph

Post by Steph »

Umm but I am getting a collection like that.