Cleomes

nige pook

Cleomes

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys, anybody grown these before? I thought id give them a go this year and have now got my bought seeds in the fridge,apparently they need stratification first!
Nige
bodster

Re: Cleomes

Post by bodster »

i've grown them Nige. They are very easy from seed. I've never stratified them though and not had any problems germinating them. Where in southampton are you Nige?
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

That sounds encouraging,although they do say they require a nightime drop in temps too. Was thinking of doing them in the greenhouse,maybe in a few weeks. Im in chandlers ford near Eastleigh,where are you?
Nige
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

No need to stratify. Should get very high germination.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Yes although they don't grow too well here and have trouble flowering in my experience.. Seems other members have it easier trying to grow these though.. It could just be my garden so don't take my word for it!
bodster

Post by bodster »

i'm over by west end nige
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

bodster wrote:They are very easy from seed. I've never stratified them though and not had any problems germinating them.
Same here, I grow them each year. I prefer the White to the mixed / pink and grow C. Helen Campbell (from Moles Seeds)

not a particularly good photo, but Cleome on the right, and droopy heads of Nicotiana sylvestris on the left

Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I grow these every year
Straight out of the packet into compost, on window cill, germinate In a week!
Flower every year for me, but make sure you pinch the main flower spike out and they will multi brach and flower on each one.
Neil