Twin stem trachycarpus fortunei

ConcreteJungle

Twin stem trachycarpus fortunei

Post by ConcreteJungle »

Just bought a twin stemmed young Trachycarpus, does this need double the amount of palm focus/booster, or is it all from one root? Anyone growing something like this with any 'grown up' pics?? I'm hoping they gradually grow apart slightly....?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Twin stem trachycarpus fortunei

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

ConcreteJungle wrote: or is it all from one root?
Trachycarpus's are single trunk palms. If its a "twin stem" it'll be two separate palms in one pot
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Yes, two palms in the same pot.
In my 'limited' experience, they'll grow at a different rate, so being right up close is not too much of a problem if you want to keep them together.
Just feed them as you normally would.
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

Ok thanks, not too fussed if they grow at different rates, will add some variation. And if they are single stem will treat both separately. Just like the close togetherness of two same palms
karl66

Post by karl66 »

They would of been two seprate palm's originally but they've been potted together to make a feature palm, they will now be one rootball so you only need to treat it as one palm. karl.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I bought a twin stem last year in the sales for £10, some of the fronds were tattered so i cut them off, i just noticed that its been growing over winter with new fronds and new emerging fronds, it is in a pot tho but i have a feeling its going to look really good this year..
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Ive got 3 of these doublers.Growth is equal on one,slightly unbalanced on another, and one lost its twin in that winter. They seem to protect each other in the winds so the fronds are looking good this year despite the bad weather.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

You can find twin Trachys, this one is in Goodrington, Paignton.
Attachments
image.jpg
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

timj17 wrote:You can find twin Trachys, this one is in Goodrington, Paignton.
It can happen if the growing point is damaged, splitting it into two growing points.
John P

Post by John P »

They do exist but normally its 2 seeds in the same pot. These trachys in my garden were quite small when I purchased them. They shared a small pot, were sawn apart and planted next to each other. The picture was taken 2.5 years ago and they are much bigger now.

Examples of proper multi trunked trachys.

John
karl66

Post by karl66 »

John those last few pic's are amazing!!, never seen anything like those before & there almost like a cordyline grow's, I've been told by many expert's that such palm's don't exist.
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

John P wrote:They do exist but normally its 2 seeds in the same pot. These trachys in my garden were quite small when I purchased them. They shared a small pot, were sawn apart and planted next to each other. The picture was taken 2.5 years ago and they are much bigger now.
John
Thanks for sharing John! How many years did it take to get to that size that you have?
John P

Post by John P »

The multiple trunks are not common but do exist even for other varieties of palms. My so called twins were brought home in the back of my car. They were fused together and I had to saw them apart. I have had them about 15 years and they have grown much quicker than 2 in my front garden.

John
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Also not uncommon for 2 palms to germinate from 1 seed. I have a Butia eriospatha which has done this and even as strap leaf seedlings they were inseperable.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Amazing pics, not sure whether I like them though. I think they'd look much better stripped.