wireworm

James1991

wireworm

Post by James1991 »

has anyone suffered from wireworm? they have destroyed my overwintered onions and i just found a few in my cordyline pot :evil: what treatment would you recommend?
Conifers

Re: wireworm

Post by Conifers »

A flock of Starlings, but they're hard to come by now.
kata

Post by kata »

Try Homebase,

I had one last week and killed it myself....easy to pull apart. After that I have birds waiting on the garage roof..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Provado's Vine Weevil killer seems to kill them in pots. Not suitable for edible crops I believe. I found one live one eating through the roots of some Cautleya surrounded by dead ones.
kata

Post by kata »

Thats the first I have seen in this garden Blairs,

icon_cheers
JeffYoung

Post by JeffYoung »

I filled a bunch of raised beds with rotting down sod removed to create paths elsewhere. A good recipe for a serious wireworm infestation.

I tried several greener cures: probably the most effective was to halve a bunch of potatoes, impale them on bamboo sticks, and bury them several inches deep. Pull them out every couple of days, pick all the wireworm out, and destroy them. Bury the potatoes again.

But after several years I gave up and gave the beds a Dursban drench. I hated to do it, but it did give a 100% kill rate the first go. (I've since had to do it again for leatherjackets killing my yew hedging year after year; I couldn't get Dursban that time but Clinch XL is the same thing.)

Cheers,
Jeff.