Anyone rent a polytunnel/growing space?

tropical Tom

Anyone rent a polytunnel/growing space?

Post by tropical Tom »

Thinking ahead, I'd like to semi retire in 3 years time (when I'm 55), and I'd like to extend my hobby into propagation of unusual exotic and exotic looking plants, BIG PROBLEM........my garden can in no way support this :( Does anyone have a starting point for renting a polytunnel/greenhouse with a little land space? Sure I can rent a bit of land but security would be an issue. I'd rather not move house but it is a possibility, but a last resort.

All suggestions very welcome :D
Chad

Re: Anyone rent a polytunnel/growing space?

Post by Chad »

It is worth asking at your local agriculture/ horticulture college.

In Cornwall they have tunnel space for rent for 'start up businesses' and even if yours doesn't they will have contacts in the trade and will probably know if anyone is renting out.

Chad.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Chad wrote:It is worth asking at your local agriculture/ horticulture college.

In Cornwall they have tunnel space for rent for 'start up businesses' and even if yours doesn't they will have contacts in the trade and will probably know if anyone is renting out.

Chad.
Nice idea Chad, Harper Adams University of Agriculture is about 5 miles away from me, I'll give 'em a call icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

tropical Tom wrote:

Chad.
Nice idea Chad, Harper Adams University of Agriculture is about 5 miles away from me, I'll give 'em a call icon_salut
Harper Adams also do Horticulture icon_thumleft
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

fern Rob wrote:
tropical Tom wrote:

Chad.
Harper Adams also do Horticulture icon_thumleft
They do, but even if they didn't, they still rent out land, I spoke to them today icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Allotment? You'd be able to put a poly tunnel on there, but security might be an issue, and if this is a commercial venture then it would be frowned on.

What about that Land Share thingie that Channel-4 started?
http://www.landshare.net/
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I have an allotment and went down that route with this in mind plus a bit of space to grow edibles. I underestimated how much some people frown upon growing non-edibles though. The latest set of rules are actually now 29 pages long - enough to put anyone off! I did grow some Colocasia "Mamoth" down there last year and some giant dahlias from seed, some of which were good enough to keep for this year. Giant pumpkins and marrows went in the propagator last night but to be totally focused on exotics, I think you would need a very lenient allotment site. Still got to plant some prickly pears down there!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:I have an allotment and went down that route with this in mind plus a bit of space to grow edibles. I underestimated how much some people frown upon growing non-edibles though. The latest set of rules are actually now 29 pages long - enough to put anyone off! I did grow some Colocasia "Mamoth" down there last year and some giant dahlias from seed, some of which were good enough to keep for this year. Giant pumpkins and marrows went in the propagator last night but to be totally focused on exotics, I think you would need a very lenient allotment site. Still got t
o plant some prickly pears down there!
Dahlias and colocasia are both edibles. :)
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

You might be lucky to have a close friend or family member who doesn't look after their garden and let it over grow?? - in return you can give them a good garden and keep a patch to yourself!!! :wink:
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
JoelR wrote:I have an allotment and went down that route with this in mind plus a bit of space to grow edibles. I underestimated how much some people frown upon growing non-edibles though. The latest set of rules are actually now 29 pages long - enough to put anyone off! I did grow some Colocasia "Mamoth" down there last year and some giant dahlias from seed, some of which were good enough to keep for this year. Giant pumpkins and marrows went in the propagator last night but to be totally focused on exotics, I think you would need a very lenient allotment site. Still got t
never thought of Dahlias being edible. Now I think of it aren't Ensetes edible too?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
never thought of Dahlias being edible. Now I think of it aren't Ensetes edible too?

Dahlia flowers and tubers are edible. Ensete corms can be processed and made edible although the leaves are listed as inedible/poisionous so be careful before you try eating these!