No garden access in April - to unwrap or not???

The Codfather

Re: No garden access in April - to unwrap or not???

Post by The Codfather »

Dave Brown wrote:
jungle jas wrote: However you do have to consider he is a lot further north than you two. I would unwrap but don't blame me if they snuff it. :lol: There is still time to get some good frosts, especially up north. icon_thumright
I also have to consider that he has had a milder winter than in the SE. I have had 5 frosts in 2014 where as many in the west and north were saying is was their first frost last week.

I always leave a light ball of fleece in the crown until the knuckles become croziers, just in case :wink:
I wish I did the other night...... :( minus 4 and all the knuckle tops have blackened.....and are trashed.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Don't worry Coddy, just cut them off and new ones will take their place.

I removed 2 'aborted' croziers last year on advice from people here and new ones were visible within 2-3 weeks, fully opened soon after.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Actually Cordy I don't know where you live? I suspect somewhere north of Watford. :DD icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Deedee wrote:
kata wrote:Ah, I knew it...I resisted the temptation Dee.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch :mrgreen: Have i asked the wrong question Kata :?
Hernia repair and staying down south for a bit :cry: Put it off for a good few years now :shock: icon_thumleft

Dave Brown wrote:
jungle jas wrote: However you do have to consider he is a lot further north than you two. I would unwrap but don't blame me if they snuff it. :lol: There is still time to get some good frosts, especially up north. icon_thumright
I also have to consider that he has had a milder winter than in the SE. I have had 5 frosts in 2014 where as many in the west and north were saying is was their first frost last week.

I always leave a light ball of fleece in the crown until the knuckles become croziers, just in case :wink:

I'll stick a fleece ball in the crown icon_thumleft

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Deedee wrote:Why wont you be able to get into the garden Cordy, have i missed something icon_scratch
He has to go back to the detention center, they only let him out now and again.

Don't blame them either............ :lol:
They let me out the padded cell once a week to cut the grass :shock: :lol: :lol:

jungle jas wrote:Actually Cordy I don't know where you live? I suspect somewhere north of Watford. :DD icon_thumright

Southeast greater Manc, short bike ride from the foothills of the peaks icon_thumleft

The Codfather wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

I wish I did the other night...... :( minus 4 and all the knuckle tops have blackened.....and are trashed.
Two frost of significance this winter/spring, both within March icon_scratch
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

well everything is unwrapped i'll blame you lot if it all snuffs it :lol: :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I thought you were gett'n some work done Cordy and keeping it a suprise, i was thinking, New Patio, Tiki Hut! :mrgreen: Lifting all those beasts can't of helped, Hope all go's well and your back soon x
kata

Post by kata »

Hernia repair and staying down south for a bit
Good luck Cordy!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

I'd recommend a huge handful of straw in the Dicksonia crowns. The emerging fronds can easily move it out the way if it's warm... But if there is frost the straw will be the perfect blanket.

We had a fantastic hail storm last week, some of the biggest hailstones I've ever seen, and they lasted in the shade for hours. I washed away the ice from my more tender plants.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Deedee wrote:I thought you were gett'n some work done Cordy and keeping it a suprise, i was thinking, New Patio, Tiki Hut! :mrgreen: Lifting all those beasts can't of helped, Hope all go's well and your back soon x

Hey Dee, no tikki hut yet, but one day I do fancy a pergola of some type with a shower proof roof to have a rattan corner "sofa" under on my dekcing! icon_cheers :DD
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:
Hernia repair and staying down south for a bit
Good luck Cordy!

icon_cheers icon_cheers

thanks, the garden is all unwrapped now so can fend for itself till I get back in there come Mayish

PaulPlants wrote:I'd recommend a huge handful of straw in the Dicksonia crowns. The emerging fronds can easily move it out the way if it's warm... But if there is frost the straw will be the perfect blanket.

We had a fantastic hail storm last week, some of the biggest hailstones I've ever seen, and they lasted in the shade for hours. I washed away the ice from my more tender plants.

I've put a fleece ball in there yesterday, may change it to straw then icon_thumright
Steph

Post by Steph »

PaulPlants wrote:I'd recommend a huge handful of straw in the Dicksonia crowns. The emerging fronds can easily move it out the way if it's warm... But if there is frost the straw will be the perfect blanket.

Not far from you Paul and its all unnecessary, my Dicksonia antarctica have had no protection all winter and they still have last years fronds intact & undamaged.
The Cyatheas have been out for a month now and they are OK as well.
We took last years leaves off the TRex yesterday just cos they were tatty.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
jungle jas wrote:. I would unwrap but don't blame me if they snuff it. :lol: icon_thumright
What a cop out................. :lol:
Arlon, I'm a builder, we are not programed to accept responsibility for anything. :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_thumright