Ricinus seedling question

callin

Ricinus seedling question

Post by callin »

Hi there,
First time I handle this plant.
I germinate them from seeds picked up by me last year in autumn.
They grew fast and 2 weeks old now.
The question is how deep can I plant them? can I burry half of the stem? or it will rot if I do? icon_scratch
They never seen any natural light and may be streched , I never seen a seedling of this plant to make a comparison.
Ricinus look exotic to me and I spotted last summer very nice mature specimen aroud in my neighbourhood, like it, so decided to try it.
Thanks in advance
icon_cheers icon_cheers
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Springy

Re: Ricinus seedling question

Post by Springy »

Hi callin,
From MY experience you can plant them up to the lower leaves. I would repot them into bigger pots and plant them deep as possible whilst repotting. If they go leggy again before planting out, then plant them in the garden up to the lower leaves again. Try not to disturb the roots too much in doing this!
If you don't plant them deep they will rock about in the slightest breeze but planting deep will help prevent this. I find that leaving sowing of ricinus is best left as late in the spring as possible as the grow quickly.

I hope this helps but I'm sure there will be other advise from other forum members.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I agree, I take the view that you can prick-out anything up to its seed leaves - even Cucumber which has a reputation for stem rot.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Ricinus love sunlight. Yours looks lanky and etiolated. In sun the stalk would be a few cm , not 30. Can you put it in sun?
callin

Post by callin »

Thank you for your advices Springy and Kristen.
I will plant them deep then with a loose hart.
Update pictures will follow if everything works well.
Wish you a warm spring.
icon_cheers
callin

Post by callin »

Yes Blairs, they have almost 25 cm hight.
I was not aware that they grow so fast , one day nothing happend to the seeds and 2 days later... bam...!!! :shock: 5 cm tall.
Guessed they are very streched. I will plant them in the ground in the sun soon next weekend.
I will try to aclimate them on the south window sill, with the window open.
Tanks for answer.