After the Polar Vortices in NJ

jreinhar

After the Polar Vortices in NJ

Post by jreinhar »

Perhaps you folks in England heard about the three or four polar vortexes that brought a mini Ice age to North America this past February. It got so bad that Minnesota had to close its public schools for fear of children getting frostbite on their way to lessons. Minus 30 Celsius can do that.

On the Mid-Atlantic Coast, at the edge of the humid subtropical and continental climate zones, we never dropped below -15, but there were many days the temperatures didn't rise above 0. This past weekend I uncovered my palms and checked the damage.

The sabal minors -- one covered and one just buried under our multiple snowstorms -- suffered some leaf damage but look good. The same for a needle palm. My trachycarpus appear virtually undamaged. Give those suckers a windbreak and you could probably grow them anywhere up to Massachusetts.

I'll have to wait to see what's going to happen with the jubaea x butia. It now has substantial leaf burn but no spear pull. A butia x jubaea was not so lucky. I've also got a citrumelo on watch. It defoliated, as in past years, but I also see some ominous cracks in the bark. I should have covered it, but the damn thing is more than two meters tall now.
miketropic

Re: After the Polar Vortices in NJ

Post by miketropic »

it wasn't any nicer down here in the south ...I have so many things that died I don't even want to make a list..multiple palms with spear pull..just bad no matter how you look at it
jreinhar

Post by jreinhar »

The cold bulged far south over the Ohio and Mississippi valleys. My wife told me that one morning in Columbus, Ohio, where she was visiting relatives, the temps rose from -13 Fahrenheit only up to -8. Here directly east on the coast we never dropped below 0 F. The ocean helps moderate things.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I've checked accuweather from time to time
I saw beautiful pics of the frozen lake at Chicago...Even down south at the Golf of Mexico there were freezing temps recorded I believe? The US got hit hard this winter, while we had one of our mildest ever.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes been keeping an eye on it while battoning down against hurricane force winds here over winter. Seems even Virginia coast had temps down to around 5F.

Virginia Palm Society have been talking about their loses, and seems taller, unprotectable, Trachycarpus have not fared well.

Boca Joe (Joe Seamone) in Maryland has had snow over the weekend, and comments are starting to emerge "will this winter from hell, ever end?"

We had a 4 month winter last year with snow and high windchill right through March, and ended being the coldest spring for 51 years. We've made up for it this year so far.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

I live in the Ohio Valley and we got it pretty good. I think my lowest temp was -15F (-26c) and a few other nights around -12F. I lost a WHOLE lot of things that were left out. Some to the cold and some to the rot that set in after the massive amount of snow. I hope to never see another winter like this one..at least not for 30 or so years. The most impressive thing I think out of all the plants would be a common fatsia I left out..only say 2 ft tall.. I put a sack over it and left it. complete defoliation and tip went soft..checked it today and green shots are comming from the stem base..if it can take -15 I'll grow them any time!