Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post Reply
User avatar
ConcreteJungle
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: Greater london

Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by ConcreteJungle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 am

If this is true - my washingtonia robusta will get a good start to its life! But on the downside my robellini will need some extra shade from the sun - it limped with persistent sun last year, although it was probably acclimatising, despite daily watering.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/46 ... UR-months#

User avatar
Adam D
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by Adam D » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 am

Sorry to be the "Voice of Doom", but it's the Daily Express and I am not going to even boost their clicks by clicking through on the link.

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by otorongo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:56 am

It would be nice to have 120 days of 30C+ temps icon_thumleft I hope it materializes.
The garden would need a lot of watering though...

User avatar
ConcreteJungle
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: Greater london

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by ConcreteJungle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 am

Adam D wrote:Sorry to be the "Voice of Doom", but it's the Daily Express and I am not going to even boost their clicks by clicking through on the link.
never been on their site before so dont know how reliable this paper is - was just checking out weather for the week ahead - then it popped up on google the headline. But yeah - more sun = more water needed! Good job im not on a meter.

miketropic

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by miketropic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 am

I don't even get 120 days at 30+c :lol: If it happens find me a nice flat to rent and I'll come on over

GoggleboxUK

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by GoggleboxUK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

Adam D wrote:Sorry to be the "Voice of Doom", but it's the Daily Express and I am not going to even boost their clicks by clicking through on the link.
What he said.

:lol:

Cardiffcol

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by Cardiffcol » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 pm

What a load of balderdash!! Seeing is believing though. I wonder if they have ever written a story on long range forecasts being highly improbable. Or more to the point, sorry we were wrong.....again!!!

billdango

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by billdango » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:22 pm

I wouldn't insult my cranium by reading that rubbish?

We will probably just get a bad summer anyway as at the moment we seem to get 8 bad and 2 good summers every 10 years on average.

I would be happy to get 2 good weeks out of every month between now and October as maybe my S Romanzoffianum may actually produce more then one leaf a year and I won't get fed up with it and dig it up this year.

billdango :D

User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10159
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:40 pm

billdango wrote:I wouldn't insult my cranium by reading that rubbish?

We will probably just get a bad summer anyway as at the moment we seem to get 8 bad and 2 good summers every 10 years on average.

I would be happy to get 2 good weeks out of every month between now and October as maybe my S Romanzoffianum may actually produce more then one leaf a year and I won't get fed up with it and dig it up this year.

billdango :D


Bill what was summer 1910 like? :)

bordersboy

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by bordersboy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Maybe all that good weather will burn off this damned fog weve got in Edinburgh. Ive not seen the sun or even a cloud in the sky since last Friday ! :evil:

flounder

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by flounder » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:41 pm

I'd settle for 120 hours of summer but somewhere in the UK they will get 120 minutes :roll:
These newspapers will eventually get one prediction right, but then again if you had an infinite amount of monkeys and an infinite amount of type writers, one will eventually write the works of Shakespeare icon_study
Tubby, or not tubby.....fat is the question

call

Re: Longest summer since 1910 :)

Post by call » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
billdango wrote:I wouldn't insult my cranium by reading that rubbish?

We will probably just get a bad summer anyway as at the moment we seem to get 8 bad and 2 good summers every 10 years on average.

I would be happy to get 2 good weeks out of every month between now and October as maybe my S Romanzoffianum may actually produce more then one leaf a year and I won't get fed up with it and dig it up this year.

billdango :D


Bill what was summer 1910 like? :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply