Wisteria prolific.

karl66

Wisteria prolific.

Post by karl66 »

I'm starting to build up a small collection of different varieties & wondering if many grow the above?. obviously i'll be after another quality grafted plant minimum 7/8ft tall about 12 litre pot...various examples for sale but i'd like if possible a recommendation. Thanks karl.
charliepridham

Re: Wisteria prolific.

Post by charliepridham »

Karl, if you buy a grafted plant make sure you plant it really deeply, we get a lot of folk turn up whose established Wisterias have suddenly died and the RHS investigated and in many cases it was due to graft failure, if you plant deeply the variety will make its own roots and this will avoid the problem (sorry if you already knew that!) and remember to keep it well watered for at least its first summer as they often grow on the fringes of swamps and wet lands in nature if they are too dry they will spend several years growing a huge root system before they flower again (even if its in flower when you buy it)

These days I much prefer doing Wisteria from cuttings its very inefficient but at least I know the graft wont fail!
The Codfather

Re: Wisteria prolific.

Post by The Codfather »

and prune twice a year to get it to re-flower as I have just found out as the one I bout in flower last year failed to flower this year
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !