Town plantings.

stephenprudence

Town plantings.

Post by stephenprudence »

I had the great fortune and very exciting role of being the planting co-ordinating in a public planting project in my home town. Although the project is primarily for wildlife, there is a challenging area of the park which is extremely dry and under the part shade of a Cedar.

I thought therefore I'll go down the route of an Australasian area since Australasian plants seem to suit the area well.

Well mostly Australasian..

I've planted up with Cordyline, Grevillea 'canberra gem', Tetrapanax pap. , Callistemon rigidus, and Yucca elephantipes and Fatsia japonica 'spiders web' . I still need to add two Coronilla glauca.

It's near the overlook onto the estuary and is dry and mild. It'll be good hopefully
Conifers

Re: Town plantings.

Post by Conifers »

If it's under a cedar, why not some cedar-related Mediterranean plants? Things like Chamaerops humilis var. argentea?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

funnily enough, that's something in the pipeline (Chamaerops)... icon_thumleft

argentea variant will definitely suit it. Good shout.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

This is such a great idea! We have a local group who tend all the 'village' (more of a town now) plants. They are doing an absolutely terrible job with plant choice at the moment. I'm considering asking if I can get some of my young Trachycarpus in there for the future plants in the beds.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I'm not sure about Tetrapanax being suitable for a dry spot.

I've tried a few and they all died and I was told here it was due to not being watered.