Musa folding leaves?

Johnlenham

Musa folding leaves?

Post by Johnlenham »

Anyone have any suggestions as to what causes this? or is it just a side effect of the absurd heat we are experiencing right now in the UK?

I have my musa in a pot in a west facing, protected spot.
Since getting in may its sent out 5+ new leaves (one as big as my window!), its got 3 pups (one with small leaves) already, so I cant imagine its ina bad spot but the leaves have started to fold inwards and sag?

a case of more water or something else?
dont want to overwater and cause more damage if this is just the plants way of coping with the 30+ sun.
sazmo

Musa folding leaves?

Post by sazmo »

I would imagine more water but that really would be a guess. Can you add pictures? (not sure if site is fixed)
tatter

Musa folding leaves?

Post by tatter »

I'm also guessing its lack of water especially as its in pot. Will probably need watering at least twice a day in this heat in a pot. Try also misting leaves (but not in sun as this will cause leaf burn).This is based on the assumption that leaves are in a upside v condition. Is the pot big enough for the plant?
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
JonC

Musa folding leaves?

Post by JonC »

I would agree with the above and give more water. I didn't think you could overwater a Musa Basjoo. They are greedy plants and like moist soil and lots of food. I keep mine moist and they are doing fine.
DiCasS

Musa folding leaves?

Post by DiCasS »

I wish I could take a pic of my Basjoo as the leaves on mine close up in hot weather too, just as Jim describes. It's planted in the ground and in full sun. I've just tested the soil and it's still moist from my last watering. I would imagine also, if it isn't getting enough water, it would have the same effect as well. If it's Basjoo then it's far better off in the ground if you have a spot for it.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Johnlenham

Musa folding leaves?

Post by Johnlenham »

Ah interesting, I knew they liked feed but was unsure of the water. It seemed to be doing really well to my limited knowledge. Ill get a photo this evening.

Its probably not in an optimal sized pot to be honest, but as its was doing so well I assumed it was actually ok. Its only after this absurd heat wave have it took abit of a dive. I haven't had an option to plant it until this weekend (can see my other thread for more info) but I was considering it now.
tracky ted

Musa folding leaves?

Post by tracky ted »

Way back in 1976 when we had a heat wave I had planted out some French beans. On a very hot sunny midday I was in the garden and to my amazement all the leaves had turn with there edges facing the sun. Who told them to do that icon_scratch nature can be amazing. Perhaps some one had a word in the bananas ear :lol: :lol:
Johnlenham

Musa folding leaves?

Post by Johnlenham »

Hopefully this works via my phone...
Gave it a good soaking so we'll see if it perks up.

Attachments
IMG_20180703_164756.jpg
IMG_20180703_164806.jpg
IMG_20180703_164815.jpg
Last edited by Johnlenham on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatter

Musa folding leaves?

Post by tatter »

pictures not available ? icon_thumbdown
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Johnlenham

Musa folding leaves?

Post by Johnlenham »

Managed to get em working!
DiCasS

Musa folding leaves?

Post by DiCasS »

I can't see much wrong with your nanas John, they look fine. icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.