Jubaea growth.

chainsaw kid

Jubaea growth.

Post by chainsaw kid »

For years now I have been banging on regarding slow growth of Jubs below 20C. Well this year I have been able to test that out due to the unseasonal prolonged hot weather! Two new leaves since the high temperatures, not bad considering I only normally get four a year. icon_cheers How are yours doing? icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Blairs

Jubaea growth.

Post by Blairs »

I have been keeping an eye on mine and can see new fronds emerging. I really need to move it to see it better. I did notice that it out our roots in sitting water a few feet down.
GREVILLEAJ

Jubaea growth.

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

I seem to remember in the days of your alter ego that you used warm bathwater on your plants, CK. Are you giving this to your Jubaea? It should make a difference. I started using heated water for all my palms around twenty years ago.

The Jubaea gave me about 6 leaves a season after a few years establishing. I still get 6-8 leaves a year even though I only now use hot water with an occasional liquid feed.

Check out the ' Soil Warming' thread from 2011 when I put on the forum many years results of soil warming on my planted out palm collection.
chainsaw kid

Jubaea growth.

Post by chainsaw kid »

I used to give my Jubaea the warm water treatment up until about 3years ago, then I started to let the largest part of my house as a holiday let, which meant I don't have access to them on a daily bases! :roll: But I did find they started to grow earlier in the year when I was able to use warm water. icon_thumright

The Kid.
chainsaw kid

Jubaea growth.

Post by chainsaw kid »

If any one is interested in why I get cool summers which keeps the growth down on my Jub,( It also keeps the winter temperatures up as well ) so swings and roundabouts, no winter damage. Go onto Holiday cottages.co.uk web site and look for Mawddach Crescent The Anchorage. The pictures speak for them selves, and theirs nothing like a bit of free advertising. :wink:

Edit.

The closeness to the water has a marked effect on the temperatures. The east west orientation of the estuary means we get some strong winds as well. Any of you liking wild life pictures should take a look at the last picture of the Otter feeding out side the house. icon_cheers

The Kid.