Is my cordyline dead?

junglejon

Is my cordyline dead?

Post by junglejon »

Hello again. I was just wondering if there is a way to tell if a cordyline trunk is going to grow back or not?
It got blown over in 'the beast from the east' in febuary. I stood it back up again and put a stake in and it looked fine. In april i decided to dig it up which i know they hate but it was pretty much out of the ground anyway and i wanted to see what was underneath it as it's always been wobbly and never really had many roots despite having a 5 foot trunk and a big crown. It's lost all of it's leaves now and is just a trunk. If you cut the top off can you tell if there is still some life in it? Thanks, jon.
Blairs

Is my cordyline dead?

Post by Blairs »

I lost the top growth of 3 of mine and all are regrowing from the base. I think drainage played a big part in it as neighbouring ones were fine. Does the base get sun to prompt growth? Is the trunk soft?
junglejon

Is my cordyline dead?

Post by junglejon »

Hi, it has got poor drainage. I stopped watering it as i thought thats probably why it's wobbly and hardly has any roots. The ground gets lots of sun, it has got slate chippings around it though and the trunk is still hard. I just thought it would have come back by now if it was going to!
tatter

Is my cordyline dead?

Post by tatter »

can take a decent amount of time to come back from root.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
chainsaw kid

Is my cordyline dead?

Post by chainsaw kid »

To be honest Jon, if you have dug it up you have probably killed it. I have never dug one up and had it survive! However you may be lucky it may shoot from the bottom. :wink:
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.