Rain

Tom2006

Rain

Post by Tom2006 »

We've finally had our first prolonged deluge of rain in months here. After a dampening down yesterday I'm hopeful it's being soaked up by the plants. How's everyone else doing?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
DiCasS

Rain

Post by DiCasS »

Nothing here, and like you haven't had any rain for ages. It's cooler though. 18 degrees today.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
otorongo

Rain

Post by otorongo »

Had our first rain in 2 months yesterday.

The change of weather was so quick. I was sitting in the garden room with the air con set to a pleasant 27C while it was like a raging fire outside. Every now and then I'd pop out to the garden or house to get something (food, tools...). And suddenly, around 6pm, on one of those pop-outs I realised it was actually as cool outside as in the air-conned room. It got dark, breezy and I heard thunder. I turned off the air-con and opened the windows with a sigh of relief.

It's supposed to be much cooler for 2 days, then warmer again, so make the best of the coolness while it lasts. Thank goodness nothing above 30C in the 14 days forecast, but this may change. A couple of days ago they were predicting 36C in the first week of August.

Because of the drought, the trees in the parks and forests are shedding leaves like it's October.

I may do something in the garden today. Until now it was impossible. One morning I was up at 4.30am and it was still/already too hot to do anything.

Officially 35.3C was recorded on Thursday and 34.7C yesterday.
GREVILLEAJ

Rain

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Yesterday's thunderstorms and the overnight fleeting showers gave us a total of 3mm. Hooray! This in effect was double the last fall of measurable rain that occurred here on 5th June and the first thundery 'downpours' to give us a 'drenching' since the crop of thunderstorms that really did soak the ground the third week of May. (Worth a double 'hip hip' hooray? -Not really!)

The garden did look like it enjoyed a bit of a soak first thing this morning but the bright sunshine and gusty winds from the Atlantic while very welcome, are already drying things up again. Let's hope the quantities of tomorrow's forecast rain double up again because there's not much in the offing afterward. :(
tatter

Rain

Post by tatter »

nothing but the odd shower today nothing worth talking about rained overnight I believe but not really noticeable at 8am this morning decent rain forecast for tomorrow hopefully.Cooler and windier today though
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
charliepridham

Rain

Post by charliepridham »

Heavy showers for the last 24 hours, water pouring off the roof via the gutters all looked very exciting (if you needed rain!) However my ongoing garden project involves stripping off some turf to lay brick pavers and the soil is still dust dry, it hasn't gone in at all :(
otorongo

Rain

Post by otorongo »

Very dry here, looks like the rain didn't do a thing. I cut the grass for the first time since May (?), not much to cut, just the odd flower/seed stalk. The lawnmower was throwing a lot of dust and I got it all over me. I should have worn a dust mask.

It was nice to enjoy the sun and the outdoors though after such a long time.
DiCasS

Rain

Post by DiCasS »

It looks menacing outside, maybe today's the day.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
chainsaw kid

Rain

Post by chainsaw kid »

Today is indeed the day, real rain the first in months, ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Tom2006

Rain

Post by Tom2006 »

Plenty of rain for most today. Warm weather coming back next week though.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Sparrow

Rain

Post by Sparrow »

After a total of 0.3mm since the beginning of June (!) we finally had some overnight showers Friday night. But as others have pointed out, the winds yesterday made that seem like it didn't even happen. It's been raining continuously so far today, and all the plants are finally getting a good soak. At last!
tatter

Rain

Post by tatter »

plenty of rain here as well a real good soaking can only be good for the plants .
Jim
otorongo

Rain

Post by otorongo »

Tom2006 wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 am Plenty of rain for most today. Warm weather coming back next week though.
Of course, if the hot dry spell has to be broken, it has to be a weekend ;)

Not to detract from my joy that it's happened :thumbsup:
tatter

Rain

Post by tatter »

finally stopped here at 5pm -trouble is all this rain will also bring out the beastly slugs and snails Grrrrrrrrrr.
Always a down side.
Jim
chainsaw kid

Rain

Post by chainsaw kid »

Monday, heavy rain again this morning sunny and warm for the rest of the week. Woo hoo. icon_thumright :D
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.