Temperature difference in UK

JonC

Post by JonC »

Hi All,

I saw Yorkshire Kris' video today regarding frost damage and it highlighted for me the differences in temperature in the UK.

We've not had a hard frost here yet. We've had a couple of nights of 1 deg C and maybe a zero for an hour in the early hours, but nothing too serious. I certainly don't have much in the way of damage to plants yet.

My Iresine dropped their leaves in protest at the cold a week ago, but apart from that things here are still looking okay. I have noticed that the dahlia flower buds are not opening now and look quite poor. That could be the damp and time of year. Having said that I have had them flowering up to Christmas in previous years.

Here are a few shots taken today.

The castor oil plants still looking great.
20181112_083951.jpg
The Iresine have shed their leaves
20181112_083959.jpg
Cannas not at their best , but not damaged yet. I will lift these in the next week or so ready for over wintering.
20181112_084015.jpg
Tetrapanax still looking good.
20181112_084037.jpg
The dahlias looking quite poor here.
20181112_084049.jpg
I'll be busy in the next few weeks protecting and lifting as although I haven't had frosts yet they will come. I think the 200 mile difference buys me a few extra weeks of the season.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Its variable around the UK Jon. We are in rural South Yorkshire and we have only had one proper frost. Our garden got shredded and damaged by high winds so we cut it down a while ago. Out iresine still has leaves on but I have taken cuttings of some. Trandescantia is still okay. Our dahlias in the garden a long way from the shelter of the house are still okay although the leaves on a lot of the trees are turning and some have fallen.

I often watch temperatures around the UK (and abroad) on my iphone weather app. Im more than a little obsessed by it. I look at it year round to see if I can draw any conclusions as to plant growth in relation to maximum, minimum and average temperatures. I don't watch all locations but have noted that London can be several degrees higher than our location but also several degrees below. I had expected Birmingham and other Midland areas to be higher temperatures than us but they often aren't. I have seen a degree or two difference between our rural location and neighbouring built up areas.

We did have a cold spell of low single figures degrees centigrade a while back but the lowest here has been around 7 degrees C at night.

Have you looked at height above sea level and geological aspect as well as location? We don't live that far from Elge_onion and I have been surprised how cruel the weather seems to be to her garden compared to ours early in the year. We are both in rural locations.
JonC

Post by JonC »

Hi,

I suppose elevation will come into it. I live half way up a hill and so I avoid the frost pocket at the bottom. Our garden is also protected by buildings and trees so some shelter is also afforded there too.

Can I ask what type of Tradescantia do you have? I am after T. pallida purpura if you have that I'd love a cutting please. It is sometimes referred to as 'wandering jew'. Not a very PC name, but a great plant. Easy to take cuttings from too.

Jon
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

We haven't had a frost yet. I don't have many things that need protecting and it doesn't look like protection is going to be needed anytime soon, although next week may see lows in the low single digits.

On clear sky nights there is a noticeable difference (as much as 4C) between my garden and central London.
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

One brief air frost at the end of October surrounded by very mild spells is all I have had to contend with.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

JonC wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 pm Can I ask what type of Tradescantia do you have?
Hi Jon, I have no idea what tradescantia I have but you are welcome to cuttings. I have a purple one with thick leaves, a thinner purple and white striped one, a green and white splash variegated one and a plain green one. I have never been given any names of them. Some are in the house as small plants as they were only acquired recently.

As regards elevation or altitude, hmm, I'm even more confused. I have looked at areas I have lived and my family live and I'm even more confused as to what factors are contributing to local climate differences. I hope someone is expert in this field and can put me out of my misery by explaining some less obvious factors.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

JonC wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 pm I am after T. pallida purpura

Jon, I think this is the plant I call the purple one with thick leaves - LOL. I have just 'Googled' the name. I will get some cuttings going.
JonC

Post by JonC »

Thanks very much. It's a great plant for outside in the hot border as it gives a bit of colour. I've kept this outdoors before and it has come back in the spring. It did look quite sad for a while though. Best to bring indoors to a greenhouse or house when it's chilly.
Volksman999

Post by Volksman999 »

How far you are from the sea is also relevant of course. Here in the East Midlands we had a frost of around -1 /-2 a couple of weeks ago. It blackened the leaves of my bananas and cannas. I have now cleaned the canna rhizomes up and brought them in as well as the ensete VM trunk. The musa basjoos are still there though showing all the evidence of the frost. Fair to say that the wind had a good go at them too.
Attachments
IMG_2525.JPG
IMG_2527.JPG
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

It looks like the South east may be in line to be the coldest place in the country for the rest of November as a persistent continental easterly becomes established this weekend.
ollieinscotland

Post by ollieinscotland »

Hello, Newbie here, Can I ask which variety of tetrapanax is in the first pic as it seems to grow low to the ground. Mine is about six foot tall and just coming into flower (the frost seems to trigger this every year)
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

You are an observant Newbie, Ollie icon_salut (Welcome, BTW icon_cheers). I thought the pic was a cluster of young suckers and taller shoots were simply out of the picture icon_scratch On closer inspection.....

Perhaps Jon can tell us and put us out of our misery :lol:
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

JonC wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm Thanks very much. It's a great plant for outside in the hot border as it gives a bit of colour. I've kept this outdoors before and it has come back in the spring. It did look quite sad for a while though. Best to bring indoors to a greenhouse or house when it's chilly.
Jon - when are you going to be passing to visit your family to pick the plants up? They usually root in a week but they took a month due to late season. They aren't suitable for posting.