Anyone fancy a bit of digging??

samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

This looks like an absolute beauty - 8m Chammy from what I can make out.

Good luck getting the rootball out and will need a flat bed and hoist to move it - but for £100 that is one hell of a plant!!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/plants-flower ... 325567996
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

Wow... what a bargain! I'd have thought Trachycarpus given the size?
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

What a super opportunity for some one, instant hight for a couple of hours heavy work. It has the advantage of being near the road. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
eddie

Post by eddie »

A beauty! Hope some one will enjoy having it in the garden
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Tropic Plunder wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm Wow... what a bargain! I'd have thought Trachycarpus given the size?
Pretty sure it's a Chammy, based on leaf shape, growing point and trunk made mostly of old stem bases and not all furry! Which makes it even more of a bargain ……… IF you can get it our and transport it!!
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

samtobuk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 pm Pretty sure it's a Chammy, based on leaf shape, growing point and trunk made mostly of old stem bases and not all furry! Which makes it even more of a bargain ……… IF you can get it our and transport it!!
Agree with your reasoning as characteristics do look more chammy, but just surprised it's so big and with a single trunk... couldn't make out whether it was hairy or not.... just wish I had the means to get it, as I would love this in my garden!!
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

I think being in a nice London suburb, so close to a house and in what looks like a very sheltered spot, it will probably be growing maybe 9/10 months of the year. You may find the owner has trimmed any pups around the base to keep it single trunk? I've seen some biggies like this with single trunk in nurseries in the UK, so they can get to this size given the right conditions.

I bet it's been there 15-20 years though!!
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Why do people plant so close to walls and fences? It would have been okay planted further towards the hedge.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

If I had room i'd go for that!.
I'd bet it has a good age it it also...more like 25/30 years,depending on how large it was when planted.
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

karl66 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:52 pm I'd bet it has a good age it it also...more like 25/30 years,depending on how large it was when planted.
It says 25 year old palm at the top of the listing, so not a bad estimate. If something like this came up locally to me, I would snap it up! 👌🏻
khouji123

Post by khouji123 »

samtobuk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 pm This looks like an absolute beauty - 8m Chammy from what I can make out.

Good luck getting the rootball out and will need a flat bed and hoist to move it - but for £100 that is one hell of a plant!!
Looks great! :)