Bought new Trachycarpus Fortunei

Farmer dave

Post by Farmer dave »

I bought a new Trachycarpus I’m wondering if it would be best to get it in the ground where I want it or leave it in the pot till things warm up properly, it also has a small pup on it should I try take it off now and pot it up or leave it to grow on where it is
Thanks in advance
tatter

Post by tatter »

i personally would leave it a few weeks keep it in sheltered area and protect root/pot keep pup as is also .Especially given your northern aspect.Oh and welcome to the forum Dave
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Tatter some areas of Yorkshire differ greatly, even only fifteen minutes drive by car. We are much warmer than a lot of midlands areas.

I would leave it in the tub unless we have really low temperature forecast. Pots can get frozen really quickly.
elge_onion

Post by elge_onion »

I would plant it out . It's more likely to freeze in the pot than in the ground now. If bad weather is forecast protect crown and base.
Mind like Poison Ivy.... body like Grotbags[i[/i]
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Dave, how big is the Trachycarpus, how big is the pup and what is the size of the pot? icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Chez2 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:06 pm Tatter some areas of Yorkshire differ greatly, even only fifteen minutes drive by car. We are much warmer than a lot of midlands areas.

Fair point Chez .
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
karl66

Post by karl66 »

100% plant out... Won't do it any harm.

Chez, not sure if you mean random tempratures can be higher in parts of Yorkshire compared to West mids?, maybe on the east coast areas but as an average comparison were warmer down here.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

karl66 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 pm Chez, not sure if you mean random tempratures can be higher in parts of Yorkshire compared to West mids?, maybe on the east coast areas but as an average comparison were warmer down here.
No Karl, I don't mean odd occurrences. I have many areas I watch on my weather app. I realise they are probably forecast not actual temperatures but they do get updated every few hours so they are not going to be too far out. I watch a few areas around the UK, several locally to see the difference and some abroad too. I'm more than a little obsessed with it. I dread to think how many times a day I check it.

In addition to that, the aspect and altitude can make a massive difference to the growth of your plants as well as the weather. Plant development and growth is a good indicator. For example, we used to have a gardener and he lived the other side of Sheffield to us. He said our garden was always about a fortnight ahead of us in terms of growth. Some areas around the edge of the City centre are much higher and often have snow when other areas don't. They can differ quite easily by a few degrees. We are both rural locations.

This is why I suggested you can't give such broad brush advice across such large and diverse areas.
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

Are you sure it's a trachycarpus? Trachys don't pup but chamaerops do, some places still call chammys 'trachycarpus exelsa'.
If it is a Trachycarpus then it must be a seedling & not a pup.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Chez, i'm not an expert on weather but just as qualified to give my opinion as you are.
Just enjoy your plants in sunny Yorkshire and i'll enjoy mine in the cold midlands outback!.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Karl I have had tender succulents in my garden for several years. I take them in for winter but leave the excess out. In some areas of the garden top growth is fine, in other areas they lost the top growth but have come back.

The main difference I have noticed is that the maximum temperature differs more. As soon as sun comes out we don't get the maximum temperatures they do further south. Thats usually much further down than the midlands though. Don't forget I'm on the edge of South Yorkshire so the midlands region starts less than ten miles from my house.