Orange Trumpet Vine

Chusan

Orange Trumpet Vine

Post by Chusan »

Hello guys.

Probably a silly question, but has anyone ever tried to grow Orange trumpet Vine in pots during the summer in the UK.
They look stunning in their natural environment, but are apparently very evasive if not kept in check and can damage structures.

Youtube link showing Orange Trumpet Vine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221jix-VrpM 😊
chainsaw kid

Orange Trumpet Vine

Post by chainsaw kid »

Super plant thanks for sharing, that would really brighten up the garden. :lol: I have seen them in the Canaries but never in this country, so I suspect they are a no go. Unless someone knows differant. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
JMAC51

Orange Trumpet Vine

Post by JMAC51 »

Hi.
The plant is called pyrostegia venusta a very vigorous climber.I have one that I brought back from Madeira,I have had it 2 years in which time it has put on some growth it is about 5ft high now.
It hasn’t flowered yet despite being in a heated greenhouse whereas a thunbergia grandiflora has flowered well but I live in hope that it will flower at sometime
charliep

Orange Trumpet Vine

Post by charliep »

I can keep it alive but can't get it to flower, probably because its trying to do it during the winter half of the year when light levels are poor in the UK. I official gave up trying a few years ago!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
GREVILLEAJ

Orange Trumpet Vine

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

This climber seems to be the most popular choice for screening in the Canaries on account of their vigour and flower power. When I see them on sale in their pots at local nurseries you hardly ever see them in bloom. This suggests you'll only get the amazing flower displays such as those shown on the video planted out in year round warm sunny climates.

Perhaps a good UK substitute would be Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen'. I've seen them in full bloom both in (large) containers and planted out.