Help needed with new tropical bed

Katej

Post by Katej »

Hi all,

This is my first post although I’ve been meaning to join for a while.
Having filled every inch of space in my current beds we’re now building a new raised sloped bed which will contain Yucca rostrata, rigida, filifera, Cycas revolutas, a Waggie, spiral aloe, amongst others. This bed will get a lot of sun and I know the key is drainage here.
But I don’t know what exactly I should fill it with in terms of the soil/compost. And whether I can use pea shingle for example instead of horticultural grit? What ratio would you recommend?
I say this because I will be buying everything in (multiple) ton bags and trying to keep costs down.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, and bonus points if you know where best to buy.
Many thanks
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Kate, may I ask a few questions, what are you building your raised bed with, what size is it . and what is the soil like in the garden? I cannot help you with the mix as I garden on sand so don't have that sort of problem but I'm sure someone on here will help you. You can get your sand, grit, gravel and topsoil from any good builders merchant but you need to go and look at it to see if it is suitable as it is very variable in different parts of the country. Some builders merchants even sell compost. I hope this helps.

Jason.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
tatter

Post by tatter »

make sure the sand is not ordinary builders sand though you need something like play sand.
oh and welcome Kate
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Tatter is correct which is why you need to go and look yourself. There is building sand, fine. Plastering sand, sharp. Concreating sand, gritty. You will probably need the latter. The pea gravel may be to big for your needs. Be aware the top soil my not be suitable for your needs so try a couple of merchants till you find a good light free draining soil. If you are building this bed on top of clay you will need a very course layer on the bottom and lots of weep holes around the bed. Do not dig into the clay or you will create a water sump. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

That sounds like two of our borders. After nineteen years trying to improve our very well drained soil we have changed the planting and gone for a Beth Chatto gravel style garden, we had a lot of those plants already. Our border naturally slopes so we are mixing in horticultural gravel, the size a shade bigger than you would put on small potted plants.

As others have said, it depends on what your soil is like already and exactly what you are planting. The cheapest we found in our area in 1m3 bags containing about 850kg. You may find something cheaper in your area but we haven't. Here is the link. https://www.gravelmaster.co.uk/ScProduc ... it_53.aspx