Tetrapanax help!

jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

Post by jurassicgardener »

Well I have just been out for a more thorough inspection - I don't think it is over or underwatered, I put a hand down to the roots and the soil was felt about right, not home dry and just a little moist to the touch. I gave it a big drink when I planted it at Easter and it has only had a little rainfall since then.

However, I have now discovered some holes in the leaves! A large hole in one leaf and a small hole in another. Upon a close inspection I found a total of four tiny amber coloured insects which could have been spiders (photos to follow in the next post).

I did give it a little drink with some Epsom salts mixed in that I got at the garden centre - please tell me that won't have done any harm?

I am kicking myself as one of the leaves did look a bit funny when I bought it but otherwise it was the largest plant in the bunch, hence my choosing it. Any ideas what it might be now that I have found the amber spiders? Pictures following now of the holes and the spiders.
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

IMG_20190428_194749.jpg
IMG_20190428_194757.jpg
IMG_20190428_194702.jpg
IMG_20190428_195006.jpg
Chad

Tetrapanax help!

Post by Chad »

Relax.

I agree with Jim that over or under watering could do it, but if it is now planted in a big container that has drainage then all should correct. At least until it outgrows the raised bed.

Epsom salts are fine as long as they are very dilute and would correct Magnesium deficiency.

It is usually diluted as one or two tablespoons of salt to a gallon of water and not used more than once a month.

Your first 'bug on a spoon' is a true spider and not a pest.

The second is an aphid which can be a problem if you get lots on a growing point but are easily 'squidged' off.

If it settles in it will outgrow this and new leaves will probably be fine.

Chad
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

Thank you Chad. I'm amazed at how much like a child this plant feels to me haha.

Went out today to inspect, edges of the leaf on the most affected leaf are starting to curl now, but other than that no change. I did however find a little caterpillar on the leaf with the holes in it (so that at least explains that) which I promptly removed. It had left a kind of fuzzy white residue where he had been eating the leaves.

Many thanks.