Tetrapanax help!

jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

Post by jurassicgardener »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here - have wanted en exotic/jungle garden for a few years but never really committed to it, this year I'm going for it!

My latest addition is a Tetrapanax Papyrifer Rex. I feel like it's my child as I had to hunt all over the garden centres in my region for it, thanks to Gardeners World there was a bit of a rush on them. Anyway, found one - quite a decent size about 18/20 inches tall, five leaves on it and two more on the way. I noticed when I bought it that one of the leaves had some faded/thin patches on it but it was the only one there so I bought it anyway. This morning I went out to have a look at it and the faded patches have now gone a very pale brown in the middle!

The other leaves look fine at the moment, but I am just wondering if this is a disease or something I can treat - or if it is alright and is just something that can happen? I really don't want to plant to die on me. It's planted in an ideal spot from what I've read, gets sun for much of the day but also some shade.

Any advice appreciated - hopefully I don't need to worry? Many thanks!
chainsaw kid

Tetrapanax help!

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Jurassic,
I cant help much without seeing a picture, however it is probably one of two things, It could be damage sustained at the nursery, or the leaves that haven't been destroyed in the winter tend to drop in the spring. Hope that helps. Let us know what happens.

Regards Jas.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

Tetrapanax help!

Post by Chez2 »

It has like a downy covering on it, if thats what you mean. Soft young growth can easily get nipped by frost. Just cut it off and it will grow more leaves. If the growing tip gets damaged cut it off and it will shoot from the side.

In our neck of the woods a large T rex in a pot approx 5L is about £20 and a small one £5 from local independent nursery.
eddie

Tetrapanax help!

Post by eddie »

Mine completely defioliates during and after winter. If the growing point is damaged, new leaves will grow back quickly in the growing season. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't worry to much these things are quite tough
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

Hi all, thanks for your replies - the growing tip is fine (I think) it's just on one of the new leaves there are these thin, faded patches that have now gone light brown in the middle. All other leaves look fine - I just wasn't sure if it was damage or a disease that could spread. I'll take a photo when I get home later and show you all, would really value your thoughts on that.
tatter

Tetrapanax help!

Post by tatter »

Welcome to the forum Jurassic the photo will help with the problem if there indeed is one .
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

IMG_20190425_172608.jpg
This is the leaf and the faded patches I mention. All the other leaves look okay. What do you think? Thanks so much.
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

I have submitted a post with a photo for a approval, so you should be able to see what I mean soon hopefully. Many thanks.
GREVILLEAJ

Tetrapanax help!

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Looking forward to the photo. But the prognosis is good. They really are quite tough.
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

Photo still hasn't been approved - but this morning the brown patches are bigger and another of the leaves has started to get the faded patches 😳
Should I give it some feed? I'll try to submit another photo. Thank you.
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

IMG_20190425_172608.jpg
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

IMG_20190428_101857.jpg
IMG_20190428_101903.jpg
Chad

Tetrapanax help!

Post by Chad »

That looks physiological rather than a pest or disease.

Is it magnesium deficiency that hits in between veins?

Whatever, get it planted out into 'real' soil and it will correct itself.

Chad.
jurassicgardener

Tetrapanax help!

What do you mean by real soil? There is nowhere else it can go in the garden other than that raised bed - if I took out some of the compost and replaced with topsoil would that help? Thank you
tatter

Tetrapanax help!

Post by tatter »

Whilst i would not dare to dispute anything with one as learned as Chad. i would not discount fungal or pest attack have you checked the undersides of leaf for any pests like red spider or aphid or similar.i also would not discount overwatering or indeed underwatering but only you can answer this.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow