High Nitrogen Feeding

Colchester Lee

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by Colchester Lee »

Hi
I'm aware that Aroids and banana's respond well to regular high nitrogen feeding and was wondering whether this is also the case for Tetrapanax and Paulownia?
Your opinions and advice are appreciated
Thank you
Lee
GREVILLEAJ

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Hi Lee. From experience where there are woody stems with leafy subjects alternating nitrogen only with combined nutrients between June and August prevents sappy stems that break in the stronger winds of Autumn and can ruin the lush effect you have created at a time when they are at their best.
chainsaw kid

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by chainsaw kid »

I'm with Grev on this one I would never use high nitrogen on any thing. I the only time I have used high nitrogen was when I was a market gardener and we used to use it on overwintered cabbage etc to green it up a bit and put a spring in its step so to speak. I would not use it in the garden. icon_thumright

EDIT. Also I forgot I've used it on fields of grass to increase yields for feeding cattle and making hay. I wouldn't use it on the lawn either or you will spend all summer behind the mower. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by chainsaw kid on Thu May 02, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Colchester Lee

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by Colchester Lee »

Thanks
Can you recommend an appropriate feed to get the best from these plants?
Lee
chainsaw kid

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by chainsaw kid »

I use a 6 month slow release fertilizer, put it on in the spring feeds the plant all summer long. Available from all garden centres. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Colchester Lee

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by Colchester Lee »

icon_thumleft
Chez2

High Nitrogen Feeding

Post by Chez2 »

We are in a windy locations so we need growth to be strong not sappy. We just use general purpose feed every few weeks to monthly via an attachment on the end of the hose in the growing season.

We have had plants in the ground for many years without mulching because we have membrane and stones and plant through that. A year or two ago we started applying a general purpose granular feed to the surface each spring and letting the rain wash it in.